He Eats Everything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalallergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. so I have two cats, Douglas and Petey. I got them both when they were about a week old. But Douglas eats everything, his favorite is socks. I've learned how to pick up my room, but he then ate my blanket, opens the closet and now can open my sock drawer:mad: . he also has started to eat wires if he can't find anything else:eek: . it really scares me. he is a spoiled cat who acts likes he is an 11 year old child. sometimes he really really needs his mum,:oops: but other times he is a brat. Petey on the other hand is really a pathetic, sweet cat. Douglas treats him like a younger sibling, but is now getting to be really rough and becoming a big bully. HOW DO I STOP HIM FROM EATING MY SOCKS!????? and stop him beating up the other cat???

Members don't see this ad.

stop sweating :oops:

my friend just had to take her dog in for an emergency enema because he ate a pair of her underwear and had trouble "working it through" (it got all tangled in his butt hair). they had to pottypatch him, which reminded me of the sopranos two weeks ago. Janice and Tony were playing Monopoly.

Janice: "Second prize in a beauty contest collect $10." (to Tony) "Go ahead, make your stupid joke."
Tony: "I got nothing to say."
Bobby: "Think I'll buy a railroad."
Tony: "A German shepherd's shaved dingus won first prize."

Ok. so I have two cats, Douglas and Petey. I got them both when they were about a week old. But Douglas eats everything, his favorite is socks. I've learned how to pick up my room, but he then ate my blanket, opens the closet and now can open my sock drawer:mad: . he also has started to eat wires if he can't find anything else:eek: . it really scares me. he is a spoiled cat who acts likes he is an 11 year old child. sometimes he really really needs his mum,:oops: but other times he is a brat. Petey on the other hand is really a pathetic, sweet cat. Douglas treats him like a younger sibling, but is now getting to be really rough and becoming a big bully. HOW DO I STOP HIM FROM EATING MY SOCKS!????? and stop him beating up the other cat???
Get your socks in a place that your cat can't get to. I have see many emergency surgeries attributed to eating socks, they are not fun...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL... sorry, I really do feel bad for your situation (love their names by the way!), it reminds me slightly of my own house. Our furry children are just plain Bad! We have things stragegically placed all over the house to keep the peace. My family loves to tease me "lets be smarter than the pets"

One quick idea- what about putting something (canned food? something sticky?) in a Kong treat dispenser (I fill the dog's kong w/ peanut butter, he is busy for hours)? It may distract him for quite some time while you can't baby sit him.

A small taste of the stupid things I have to do:
1. Carabiener (sp?) on the guinea pig cage, otherwise Jasmine knows how to open her door and let herself out. Sometimes we forget and it is "Born Free" time.

2. Bungee cords on bathroom door and laundry room door- surprise, its where the cat boxes live, and Dan the dog is very addicted to the "buried treasures" So the bungee cords only leave the door cracked about 4 inches so he can't get in (theoretically... once I came home and couldn't find Dan Anywhere- absolutely panicked until I found him, he squeezed inside and couldn't get out... never happened ever again!)

3. <----- Shermanator just loves it when I buy a new bag of food- cat or dog, he is not picky. I have to literally lock it inside the pantry (annoying accordian door) which he knows how to open, until I put an 8 pound weight in front of the door... Also keeps him out of the potato chips. He can get past the 3 pound and the 5 pound (yeah, I couldn't believe it either!

4. And last, my precious Carmen, my tortie cat loves my house plants, then loves to throw them up. Yeah, she's a darling. So every two weeks, I break out the "Bitter Apple" spray and coat the plants with it (does not taste like apple at all, I learned that the hard way on a bet at a vet clinic I used to work at).

if you freeze the kong with the stuff in it it takes longer to get out (we learned this on a border collie mix with a passion for xmas tree ornaments)

(does not taste like apple at all, I learned that the hard way on a bet at a vet clinic I used to work at)
Heh, that's funny.

No advice here, other than that your title reminds me of a friend's cat who will eat anything that even remotely resembles food. She likes hot sauce.:hungover:

I second the bitter apple. It works for my carpet-loving dog! Too bad I can't get a hose in and cover the entire carpeted apartment. He was just throwing it up this morning. Apparently he went for a midnight snack last night!

I second the bitter apple... Too bad I can't get a hose in and cover the entire carpeted apartment.

Great Idea!.....

<grabs checkbook and buys as much stock in bitter apple before the stock market closes>

heehee, could be worse. we had a patient that liked certain feminine products, which once got lodged and had to be removed surgically. imagine the embarrassment (and the bill)...

seriously though, something to worry about. cheska has some great solutions. for the socks, you may want to try to put them in a seal and lock-type tupperware bin. may work??

Well, the first thing I always recommend with cats is the Feliway diffusers. It won't solve the problem but usually offers some help particularly with the aggression.

I notice you say you got them at a week old. It seems to be more common when kittens are hand raised that they have these sock issues, and even more so in Siamese or other oriental breeds. I would second and third recommendations here. Bitter apple can definitely help with chewing on specific items like the electrical cords. Also, they make treat/food dispensers for cats. They have to roll them around for a treat to be released. http://www.cattoys.com/treattoys1.html My favorite is they now have one you can record your voice on - what will they think of next. You could put treat in it or part of their daily meal.

Lastly I might try adding some fiber to his food. Might be something dietary.

Right?

Last edited:
If bitter apple works, I highly recommend it. It works on most cats & dogs, just not mine.

If it doesn't work, another option might be to give him a sock-proof room to hang out in when he's unsupervised. One of my guys has a cord-chewing fetish that neither bitter apple nor wrapping PVC tubing around cords could fix, so to keep him from electrocuting himself he now has his own room to hang out in when we're away. We put lots of toys and his favorite bed in there, and he's a happy dude.