Head & Neck IMRT Contours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaBetaRatio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to find a good paper that outlines how the larynx and pharyngeal constrictors should be contoured for head & neck IMRT. I think the author who usually is quoted for pioneering this line of work is Eisbruch.

I know it seems easy to contour the larynx, but a recent paper by Feng et al. in Red Journal pointed out that there's actually wide variation for how Rad/Oncs contour the normal head and neck structures including the parotid, submandi glands, larynx, and constrictors.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's going to be some variability in contouring anywhere you look, regardless of the disease site.

I think the way the RTOG did the Ano-rectal atlas was interesting (not sure if other atlases were done similarly). They essentially have a page with all of the contours from all of the experts and then they used an algorithm to generate the consensus contours:

http://www.rtog.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=DgflROvKQ6w=&tabid=231

It would be nice if we had some H&N atlases available from RTOG that addressed things like the parotids, constrictors etc.

Last edited: