Head vs. Heart: RWJ vs. NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RWJ vs NJMed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChickAmok

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thoughts anyone? anyone go to these schools already? anyone have any strong feelings either way? the top factors i'm considering:

sense of community & support at the school
public health opportunities
hours spent in class
clinical prep

help, please?

Members don't see this ad.

ChickAmok said:
thoughts anyone? anyone go to these schools already? anyone have any strong feelings either way? the top factors i'm considering:

sense of community & support at the school
public health opportunities
hours spent in class
clinical prep

help, please?

New Brunswick > Newark

I'm also biased towards RWJ because I had a great time shadowing there.

Uhhhh there's a difference?

Members don't see this ad :)
They're comparable in price and education (I think!) Go heart. I made the same choice.

I've been thinking about this for a while and still haven't decided. NJMS seems to have a better community, the whole class remains together the entire time, unlike at RWJ. Also, the class at NJMS seems more enthusiastic based upon how long the thread has been running, whereas the RWJ thread barely had any responses. But that could just be a coicidence of how many RWJ students use SDN. The location of RWJ, in New Brunswick, is nicer than Newark in my opinion. However, Newark would be a much better location for clinical exposure.
As far as the class time and such, I have seen the schedule for first and second years for both and they are the same. They are both great schools and match well.

Well, RWJ does rejections better: NJMS sent nothing but a short email. Also imagine spending your preclinical years in the brown drabness of the NJMS building, surrounded by parking lots. I doubt the clinical exposure will differ too much between the two, and if I recall there's an option to spend time in Camden with RWJ, if you want a more hardcore city than New Brunswick.

Go to RWJ...heart has not much to do with the process...you'll thank yourself later...I have lots of friends at RWJ who are so happy that they made the decision to go there. The location is better, and this is just hearsay, but I've heard the opportunities (research wise, etc) are better there as well.

I chose head over heart. I figured that this was one of those decisions where the heart would certainly follow my head because that happens a lot more often than head following the heart. I can say that it has already happened and I haven't even started school yet. Just after making the choice and starting my plans, my heart jumped right on board with my head. Go with the head choice!!!

although i won't be going to either, i thought about this a lot too and spoke w/ random students and friends at both places. i'd say the sense of community appeared to be higher at rwj (i only saw piscataway) despite the split campuses. it seems that a lot of njms students are commuters who just go to class and then go home to study, whereas rwj has more of a college feel to it. i'm pretty sure njms doesn't even have a gym. all that may change next year when the new njms housing structure is up. re: location, newark isn't that bad and closer to nyc than new brunswick, if that matters. i thought the facilities at newark were kinda grimy compared to rwj, but it wasn't too bad. i think your volunteer opportunities will be similar at either place. one thing about NJMS is that they told me you can do the md/mph in 4 years, whereas I was under the impression that it takes 5 years w/ RWJ. i'm not completely sure on that though. clinically i think njms def. ups rwj, even though i like rwj hospital much better than the newark hospital. i also had an incredible time shadowing a surgeon at rwjh one summer.

even though i always thought rwj was better b/c of the slightly more prestigious name, in the end i favored njms for a few reasons. first, the honors/pass/fail vs. (correct me if i'm wrong) the honors/high pass/pass/etc. at rwj. i can see the latter being a lot more stressful. second, the administration was much friendlier and paid more attention at njms than rwj. the only contact i had w/ rwj was the acceptance call and a scholarship call, but after that my emails to them weren't even answered except for a confirmation when i finally withdrew my acceptance. at njms, i had a fair amount of contact with heinrich, got a letter from my interviewer, etc.

Honors, High Pass, Pass and Fail are implemented at NJMS also

camisho said:
Go to RWJ...heart has not much to do with the process...you'll thank yourself later...I have lots of friends at RWJ who are so happy that they made the decision to go there. The location is better, and this is just hearsay, but I've heard the opportunities (research wise, etc) are better there as well.

I work for RWJ and I would have to agree with this. The diversity of the opportunities gives it an edge, and the people here just seem happier compared to what I've seen and heard elsewhere. :rolleyes:

camisho said:
lol.. judging from you past posts, and ur request the dan give up his seat and take the SUNY money, you will say and do anything to get into NJMS...lol..i like ur spirit. i hope you do get in.

I won't be attending either RWJ or NJMS, but overall I was impressed by RWJ moreso than NJMS. But that also could have been the way my interview days went - awesome interview day at RWJ complete with organized informative sessions vs. a bad interview day at NJMS (which resulted in a re-do, which wasn't too stellar either) and a $6 coupon for lunch. Regardless of your choice, you can't go wrong - they're both great schools, so don't stress too much. If it came down to these two for me, I would follow my heart and go to rwj. So follow your heart, whichever school that winds up meaning.
Best of luck~

I think both schools are comparable on all the points that you are concerned about in their own ways. So it really comes down to which school fits your personality better? And that, you can only tell. After interviewing at both schools, the choice was very clear to me that I belong at one, not the other. Follow your heart. :)