Headed for dual accredited residency program. Wonder about AOA membership.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So. I got my renewal notice in the mail from the AOA yesterday and I'm not certain if there is any reason to keep my membership current.

Any tips? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Will your program pay for it?

Do you plan on taking the DO boards? I think there was a thread late last year about an AOA policy requiring membership to maintain your AOA board certification. So may not be an issue if you don't care/plan on maintaining your AOA boards.

The only tricky thing I can think of is if you're required to be AOA member to apply for your unrestricted medical license in your state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw this posted by group_theory in another thread:

Actually there are no states that require AOA membership as part of the licensure process or licensure renewal process. Some states specifically require AOA Category 1A credits for renewal, but you don't need to be an AOA member to obtain those credits.

NOW if you are board certified through the AOA, then you must maintain membership in the AOA (be a member in good standing) as a condition for maintaining board certification. If you are no longer a member, then you are no longer board certified (by the AOA)

If you are board certified through one of the ABMS Boards, then membership in the parent organization (ACP, AAP, ACS, ACEP, etc) is not required. Nor is membership in the AOA required.

So if that's true and you don't plan on doing your AOA boards then you can forget about AOA membership.

Hmmm...at this point I really don't know for sure what I'll do. I matched through the ACGME match so I don't believe my program will pay the dues. I'll have to do some checking.

Thanks for the help.

Hm. I thought the AOA required membership to take boards.

:shrug: I'm willing to admit I'm wrong.

Most programs will, however, pay for your membership dues.