Heading to Wayne next year: NEED HELP with PDAs !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys;

I am in a tug-of-war between two PDAs I really like:

Dell Axim x51v OR the HP iPAQ hx4705

Which one would you guys suggest and why ?

Thanks for all your help !!

Members don't see this ad.

Neither.

Unless they are required for your year, in which case, get whichever PDA is the cheapest one that meets the bare minimum requirements. They all run Internet Explorer, which is all you need to log in your attendance. There's nothing you'll need to do that requires modern PDA technology, because CampusMobility (under school contract) doesn't know how to write software like that.

And, from what I'm told, you'll end up upgrading for year 3 regardless of what you get.

I agree. My PDA has been a headache since the day I got it. It's only used about once/month for school purposes, which is logging in to internet explorer for attendance. All the other days, I use it to play on the internet during lecture when I get bored. By the cheapest one possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
Medbound786 said:
Hey guys;

Are you an entering first year? If so, don't get it. Unless you are definitely required to do so, don't get it. You won't need a PDA until 3rd year.

Get what is cheapest. I believe the Dell is the better deal.

As has already been stated: postpone that purchase as long as you possibly can!

I do not know about the class of 2010, but I know that WSU changed the rules re: PDAs between the classes of 2008 and 2009 (the lucky first years didn’t have to get one, yet) and will probably change them a few more times in the next couple of years.
Also, I know of far too many people that got one at the start of first year (because the school said they had to) and then ended up having to upgrade (which wasn’t in the school’s calculated “cost of attendance”) for third and fourth year.

However, if you feel that you just have to have a PDA see while of those two best meets WSU’s PDA requirements and go with that one.

Medbound786 said:
Hey guys;

I just got a x51v and really like it. However, you must realize that it isn't necessary for years 1&2. A new computer/laptop would be a better investment. (i am M1). What I use my pda for:
-check email & surf web in class
-I downloaded my my daily class schedule on it and also has other appointments & contact info on it
-I watch powerpoints & lectures on it everyonce inawhile.
-respond to sdn threads (like now)
-keep track of checking account & credit card balances
-Gps
-looking up terms in class every once in awhile
-several other miscellaneous things- recipes, drink recipds,etc

so as u can see- it's more of a toy...

fun8stuff said:
However, you must realize that it isn't necessary for years 1&2.

Something I didn't necessarily realize (and they have tried to dream up ways to make us use them during MS1 & 2, which have all been wastes of time and effort) – which might be part of why I (and some other second years) am a bit bitter about the whole PDA issue.
The fact that the PDA that the school recommended (read: pushed on those of us that weren’t smart enough to avoid) is a piece of junk which was removed from the US market within months of when we all purchased them also doesn’t help matters any.

My advice, do some serious thinking before you buy any piece of technology that it seems like WSU is pushing (or as they would say “strongly recommend” or “support”). Always do your own research on a purchase like a PDA.

Wayne state requires that you get one. My friend goes there, and she was required to get a PDA. They make you use it to sign in for attendance as well as some other stupid stuff during the first 2 years. They tried to make it sound like she had to buy the one that the school was offering, which was a $500 souped up toshiba pda, but she found out she could get other models as long as it met specifications (which were basic, wifi, certain operating system, etc). I helped her do research, and she bought a Dell (I forget the model). Her only complaint was battery life was short, otherwise, it was good and cheap.
As everyone has pointed out, many have problems with them, and only a small percentage end up using them regularly. I used mine all the time, but when I sent it off to get repaired, I realized it was a crutch. I didn't know any antibiotics, and I got my cardiac meds mixed up. (I use it in clinics during my 3rd year) I suggest you use it sparingly to look up info like that. When I get it back, I will only use it for retrieving labs, radiology and path reports as well as documenting my procedures (they have this set up for our hospitals).
Finally, I suggest you get the extended warranty. They get dropped ALL the time, and they also have non traumatic failures. Palm, the supplier for my school, just changed their policy of immediately exchanging failed PDAs with new ones to a policy of repairing them because so many broke.

peace outside
sscooterguy

sscooterguy said:
Wayne state requires that you get one. My friend goes there, and she was required to get a PDA. They make you use it to sign in for attendance as well as some other stupid stuff during the first 2 years.

sscooterguy

Like everything else at Wayne, the PDA issue is always in a state of flux.

Be sure to check with the school and see what they think the deal is going to be next year (and hopefully they won't change it before you get there).

I think that things will probably stay as they currently are - as I have been told, the class of 2009 was not required to get one but it was "strongly recommended".
If it stays that way save your $ until you actually need to have one (MS3 & 4).