Headphone recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noname96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shopping around for headphones that I will eventually use for the gym, watching lectures, and my commute once schools starts up. I'm leaning on getting noise-canceling headphones like the AirPods pro or the Sony XM3. If you have any experience with either of those headphones your input would be appreciated or if you can recommend to me any other types of headphones please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Sennheiser makes great headphones. I have the HD 4.50BTNC from them and I love them for studying and other stuff, just not working out. The plus is that they have bluetooth as well as a 3.5 mm connection. I have a separate bluetooth in-ear pair for the gym for when I don't want big over the ears b/c sweat.

Reactions: 1 user
I've tried airpods pro, sony XM3 (both wf and wh), bose 700, etc.

Airpods pro for sure if you have an iphone. If you have an android phone, Samsung buds are great. Over ears are just too bulky in general.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried airpods pro, sony XM3 (both wf and wh), bose 700, etc.

Airpods pro for sure if you have an iphone. If you have an android phone, Samsung buds are great. Over ears are just too bulky in general.
From 1-10 how would you rate the noise canceling on the airpods? Good enough not to be bothered while on the train or while studying?

Can't beat bose qc 35 ii for commute and listening to lectures. I personally don't like over ears for working out though

From 1-10 how would you rate the noise canceling on the airpods? Good enough not to be bothered while on the train or while studying?
Noise cancelling on the airpods pro is excellent. Good enough for sim lab, so definitely good enough for coffee shops and such.

They're not as good as XM3 with noise cancelling, but far better in convenience and comfort. You kinda forget that you have them on.

AirPods are great. I wish I had them.

I have MPOW flames. I think they’re around $20 online. Not the best, but a great bargain and they got the job done for use during running and sim lab.

Reactions: 1 users
I would pick overear headphones for lectures and commute d/t battery life alone. The gym buds can be anything cheap since there are so many decent buds on the market right now.

My WF-1000xm3 gets 4 hours tops now, but it works for what I'm using it for right now. They do stay in your ear enough for gym use. WH-xm3 hurt my hear after a while due to the shallow cups and my ears got warm. I even tried removing the inner foam to give myself more room, but had to return them after a few weeks.

You can't beat Bose in the comfort area. The pads are considerably softer than the WH-xm3 and they have deep ear wells. Considering the Bose 700 are $299 right now on Amazon with free returns, you should give them a spin. QC35s are too close to the 700 in price to be considered and they have questionable firmware updates that are raising a lot of complaints from owners recently.