Health insurance as medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rollo

Renowned Wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked and don't really know where to else post this so I'm posting it here to get some feedback.

I will surpass the age limit to be covered under my parent's health insurance this summer. And I'm only an M1 and my school (PCOM) requires students to have health insurance.

PCOM health insurance is way too expensive for me. So I'm shopping around and figured current med students would know of any basic, cheap insurance. I don't need dental or vision by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you can wait until september, I think that's when the new law goes into affect - it'll allow you to be covered under your parents plan up til 26 (i think?). You have to pay, but I think it's at a group rate, so it should be cheaper than what PCOM is offering.

I suggest getting the school insurance because it is probably the best deal you will get. From my search buying individual insurance is much more expensive than what the school offers. And if you get cheap insurance you will end up paying more in the long run b/c things will not be covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys should be thankful your school offers insurance. Some schools don't and students end up having to pay a fortune for private insurance for their families.

From what I've read, NYCOM has a policy that you have to buy their insurance if you're not covered under your family's plan. It kind of sucks, but supposedly their insurance plan is good and I kind of need it. Haha

SOMA insurance is horrible if you actually have to use it. I can't tell you how many hours were spent arguing with them to get them to actually pay for things that were clearly covered under the policy. If it is the only way for you to have a group policy, then you may be stuck, but if you have any other option don't use them.

Many states have Blue Cross individual policies that are affordable.

From my experience, you aren't going to find much cheaper than the PCOM insurance. It is also fairly painless as far as using to the school Health Center Family Practice Office and local doctors (I've haven't had any problems with being in-network, referrals, etc.).

From my experience, you aren't going to find much cheaper than the PCOM insurance. It is also fairly painless as far as using to the school Health Center Family Practice Office and local doctors (I've haven't had any problems with being in-network, referrals, etc.).
Agreed. I think the coverage is actually decent...

I will have to disagree with the majority of the previous posts. I am currently a 4th year at PCOM and opted to just buy my own health insurance. I went with a HMO Blue Cross plan. I have had it for 3 years so far and my monthly bill is 126 dollars. PCOM's plan is roughly 3K for a year.

Don't get me wrong, my insurance probably isnt as good as the PCOM PPO, but for a healthy 26 year old guy.....it works.

Do some searching online and you will be surprised.

Also my insurance includes vision coverage if I needed it.

Don't forget about the COBRA option from your parents' insurance.

SOMA insurance is about the only other thing you can get right now if you have pre-existing conditions - but as mentioned above, coverage is sketchy. Works well until you max out. (My policy maxes at $600 on prescriptions and $2000 outpatient.) I opted for the lower deductible ($250) because I wanted them to pay for the first $2000 rather than waiting and them getting out of it.

Also - I caution - don't assume that because you are healthy now you will be healthy throughout all of medical school. The first week I was on my own plan, I became unhealthy (long story short, 1 year of work-up to lead to a diagnosis). I also had a few classmates get diagnosed with cancer. Not something you want to face with only catastrophic insurance.

Don't forget about the COBRA option from your parents' insurance.

SOMA insurance is about the only other thing you can get right now if you have pre-existing conditions - but as mentioned above, coverage is sketchy. Works well until you max out. (My policy maxes at $600 on prescriptions and $2000 outpatient.) I opted for the lower deductible ($250) because I wanted them to pay for the first $2000 rather than waiting and them getting out of it.

Also - I caution - don't assume that because you are healthy now you will be healthy throughout all of medical school. The first week I was on my own plan, I became unhealthy (long story short, 1 year of work-up to lead to a diagnosis). I also had a few classmates get diagnosed with cancer. Not something you want to face with only catastrophic insurance.

I went with the $2000 deductible plan, and the coverage is amazing. I have a pre-existing condition, and have already gotten a lot of durable medical equipment covered, near 10k.

I just make sure to contact the insurance company to check every time I want coverage for something. I write down the person's name (if they say I have coverage), exactly what they said, and use that if the company tries to deny me. Insurance companies are a pain, but what else is there to do?