Health insurance during med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, just got notice that my school's health care plan (which is required by the way for both me and my wife) will run close to $300 per month for both of us.

Is that about average or what? I'm not applying for financial aid but do they usually include that amount in your package?

Oh, theres also a $620 "matriculation" fee, in addition to the $100 I already paid. Is this standard procedure for all the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor, you're going to Hopkins, right? You had to pay $100? Was that just for MSTP?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by NineSixteen:
•Baylor, you're going to Hopkins, right? You had to pay $100? Was that just for MSTP?•••••no i got it mixed up with another school... are you definitely going to hopkins?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. I got that same letter today. What's up with the required health insurance for dependents? What if you have insurance somewhere else? That's kinda wierd.

Baylor -- those rates sound about right, at least at my school (if I included the name, this sentence would be too repetitive). I think ours runs around $150 per person, per month. I know the students feel this is too high, and they're trying to look into combining with the UT system as a way to lower it, but I'm not sure if that will be successful. Financial aid does require it, but obviously if you could get it for less, you could borrow less money to pay for it.

AMSA is also offering health insurance through their organization. I haven't researched it myself so I don't know what the rates are, but if you go to the AMSA website and click on the link for health insurance, you should be able to find the necessary info.

Those rates sound reasonable. But what's a matriculation fee?? And $650??!!! That's serious jack right there!