Health insurance during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CavsFan2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best option for getting health insurance as I prepare for medical school this fall? Currently applying for Medicaid - should I stay on this or get my future medical schools health insurance plan?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What's the best option for getting health insurance as I prepare for medical school this fall? Currently applying for Medicaid - should I stay on this or get my future medical schools health insurance plan?

Medicaid! It took me 5 minutes to sign up in my previous state and it's actually pretty awesome insurance considering it's free!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can single folks with no children get medicaid?

I think it depends on the state, in some you may need a kid to qualify

EDIT: I am in no way saying you should have a kid now just to qualify for Medicaid though ;)

EDIT: I am in no way saying you should have a kid now just to qualify for Medicaid though ;)

Lmao. I think GA is one of those states :(

Basic Eligibility Criteria

You may be eligible for Medicaid if your income is low and you match one of the following descriptions:

• You think you are pregnant • You are age 65 or older • You have a disability
• You are a child or teenager • You are legally blind • You need nursing home care

I had that issue in PA years ago.

Obamacare (Affordable Care Act, ACA) permitted States to expand Medicaid coverage to include more low income people. Some States have expanded Medicaid coverage. That said, you may get a better deal by buying health insurance through your school. You may learn all too soon, and the hard way, that many physicians will not accept new Medicaid patients (reimbursement is too slow and too low).

Obamacare (Affordable Care Act, ACA) permitted States to expand Medicaid coverage to include more low income people. Some States have expanded Medicaid coverage. That said, you may get a better deal by buying health insurance through your school. You may learn all too soon, and the hard way, that many physicians will not accept new Medicaid patients (reimbursement is too slow and too low).

Always great to hear "we've reached our panel on medicaid patients for the year". This was back in 2011 when I was still eligible for it. IMPOSSIBLE to find a new doctor when you need one.

Lmao. I think GA is one of those states :(

Basic Eligibility Criteria
You may be eligible for Medicaid if your income is low and you match one of the following descriptions:
• You think you are pregnant • You are age 65 or older • You have a disability
• You are a child or teenager • You are legally blind • You need nursing home care
1) Pepper spray yourself in the face, 2) Quickly sign up for Medicaid while blind, 3) Recover from being pepper sprayed, 4) Profit

Reactions: 3 users
1) Pepper spray yourself in the face, 2) Quickly sign up for Medicaid while blind, 3) Recover from being pepper sprayed, 4) Profit
I think the key word there is legally lol

I think the key word there is legally lol
How's this

1) Pepper spray yourself in the face, 2) Get a lawyer friend to declare that you're legally blind 3) Quickly sign up for Medicaid while legally blind, 4) Recover from being pepper sprayed, 5) Profit

How's this

1) Pepper spray yourself in the face, 2) Get a lawyer friend to declare that you're legally blind 3) Quickly sign up for Medicaid while legally blind, 4) Recover from being pepper sprayed, 5) Profit

Medicaid! It took me 5 minutes to sign up in my previous state and it's actually pretty awesome insurance considering it's free!

Had a couple of questions I was hoping SDN friends would be able to answer!

My school requires the alternative health insurance option to include global emergency services/ worldwide coverage for us to waive the school health insurance. Medicaid won't qualify in that case, right?

Also, had a question about coverage in other states. For example, if you have NY medicaid, but you go to school in MA, do you get out-of-state coverage for non-emergency care in MA?

Had a couple of questions I was hoping SDN friends would be able to answer!

My school requires the alternative health insurance option to include global emergency services/ worldwide coverage for us to waive the school health insurance. Medicaid won't qualify in that case, right?

Also, had a question about coverage in other states. For example, if you have NY medicaid, but you go to school in MA, do you get out-of-state coverage for non-emergency care in MA?

1) check with your school.
2) check with your NY medicaid provider regarding coverage while you are away at school.

As the Grand Dame of SDN, @LizzyM suggests confirm with state and school, however generally
1) medicaid covers nothing outside of US
2) states will only cover emergency care out of state

1) check with your school.
2) check with your NY medicaid provider regarding coverage while you are away at school.

Thanks @gonnif and @LizzyM. Yeah, that's what I was assuming, so I guess different medical schools have varying waiver standards.

There are some student specific health insurance options out there. Not usually the best but maybe good for catastrophes
There are also a few cost sharing insurance like products at lowish premiums. Liber_ _ in Utah is one you could look at.

Reactions: 1 user