Health Insurance Experience

Started by k12balla
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

k12balla

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like we are all getting raped by insurance companies with the new obamacare. My family consists of two healthy 30 year olds, no tobacco, two healthy kids 5/6. Most insurance plans I've researched run between 900-1300 for HDHP with deductibles close to $5-8k, and coinsurnace 0-20%. This is without a copayment for office visits, meaning you pay everything out of pocket unitl you meet your deductible. I previously was paying about $650 for a similar plan just last year.

In prior years, I've heard of people paying $2-300 for similar plans, and it seems counterintuitive to pay so high of a premium, to recieve absolutley nothing (maybe a discount on charges) until you reach your very high deductible. I'd be interested to hear what others are paying across different parts of the country. I'm in Texas, large city, plans are similar for BCBS/Aetna/Humana/CIgna.

In addition, I recently signed up for one plan which i thought was somewhat reasonable with a individual/family deductible of $3.5k/7.3k, only to find out later that if you have a family plan, you have to meet the family deductible ($7.3k) before anyone can start receiving benefits. Maybe I'm new to the game, but this also sounds ludicrous and is deceptive advertising as the indivudal deductible was even stated in my benefits summary.