Health Insurance in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100dental

100dental
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about health insurance in dental school, specifically UTHSC San Antonio. If I already have health insurance, do I need to buy a different type when I go to dental school or is the one I have sufficient? I mean, surely they wouldn't make me pay for another one when I already have one, would they? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You just need to provide proof that you HAVE health insurance and fill out a waiver. Easy enough.

I don't know the policy at San Antonio nor am I an expert on health insurance, but one thing that may be important is the source of your health insurance. If you have it through your parents, at some age (depending on the insurance company) you may not be eligible to be covered through them no matter the health insurance rules of the dental school you go to. If you have it through a working spouse, then nevermind. I really hope your dental school works with you because I know that I am going to be saving a few grand a year because I get health insurance through my husband. That would really suck to pay for it if you already have it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Both responses are correct. All you need to do is provide proof of insurance and fill out their waiver and you're all set. However, depending on the insurance carrier, there is an age limit where you no longer qualify. Thanks rollypolly. I just now realized that I don't have health insurance anymore. :scared:

I was wondering about health insurance in dental school, specifically UTHSC San Antonio. If I already have health insurance, do I need to buy a different type when I go to dental school or is the one I have sufficient? I mean, surely they wouldn't make me pay for another one when I already have one, would they? Thanks.

You can keep your own or you can purchase the school's policy. You have to provide proof of insurance when you matriculate, whether it be your own, the school's, or if you are on your parent's policy.

Does anyone know if the military provides health insurance with the HPSP scholarship?

I'm thinking about buying my own health plan prior starting dental school. Do dental schools have specific requirements for deductible, co-payments etc.?

This is an old thread, but relevant so no use starting a new one.

I'm thinking about buying my own health plan prior starting dental school. Do dental schools have specific requirements for deductible, co-payments etc.?

Maybe.

I thought I'd buy some cheap insurance instead of buying U of Colorado's $2000 annual plan since I never get sick and save some loan money. After reviewing the university's health services page, though, I found that there were strict requirements for your replacement health insurance if you chose not to buy the school's (which you are automatically enrolled in if you do nothing). With these requirements (like no more than $1000 annual deductible, min $200,000 injury coverage, 50% co-pay for mental health stuff, etc.) the university health plan is actually a pretty good deal.
I guess the point is check with your school before you go buy some cheapo health insurance.

For UTHSCSA, you have to bring proof of insurance on FIRST DAY of class! They emphasized that so many times at the interview. If you do not have proof of insurance on the first day of class, you will be placed on the school's insurance plan. Doesn't matter if you have insurance or not. Remember, bring proof of your insurance on first day of class and you will be waived.

For UTHSCSA there is a waiver form that you fill out and submit to the registrar. Just photocopy your insurance card and check the appropriate box on the form and drop it off.

for Baylor, i believe they gave you a couple options/suggestions as to where to get insurance if you didn't have it. you can get it through them, or i want to say the ADA. . .i'm covered via my dad for another six months, so i didn't read it too carefully, but i can go find the stuff if anyone is intrigued and wants to know more.