Health Insurance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a newly commissioned AF HPSPer and have a quick question related to health coverage during COT.

my current health insurance will lapse on June 30th which is also my reporting date for COT. school starts 2 days after the conclusion of COT and i know they will directly bill the AF for my new health insurance with tuition. also, orientation starts before i even get back from COT so i might not even have the 2 day gap.

now, i'm thinking that during COT i will be considered active duty, so i was wondering if it would be redundant to buy gap insurance for that month or if my health needs would be taken care of by the AF should something happen during that time.

thanks for any info in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct. You will be covered as active duty while at COT. There is no need to purchase gap insurance. You are technically active duty for 45 days, which includes those two days before medical school. You'll have coverage throughout the summer without any lapses.

You are correct. You will be covered as active duty while at COT. There is no need to purchase gap insurance. You are technically active duty for 45 days, which includes those two days before medical school. You'll have coverage throughout the summer without any lapses.

thanks. i greatly appreciate the response. :)