Heart contraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaniNani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, that when your heart contracts and he empties the atrium/ventricle, what is presents inside these rooms?
There is a bit blood left inside the chambers, but for the rest? It can't be air.
Or does it become vacuum?

Maybe a stupid question, but i was really wondering?

Members don't see this ad.

facepalm_picard_riker.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
That question was asked during our anatomy lesson and the embryologist couldn't answer it. So yeah, it made me wonder.

If the answer is so obvious, why don't u explain it?
Maybe then i can also react as our star trek friends

That question was asked during our anatomy lesson and the embryologist couldn't answer it. So yeah, it made me wonder.

If the answer is so obvious, why don't u explain it?
Maybe then i can also react as our star trek friends

So the question about air/vacuum comes in if the volume is the same and the content changes. In the heart, muscles actively contract to change the volume of the chambers. So during systole ventricles contract, increasing the cavity pressure, pushing the blood out and thus reducing the amount of blood. Its like a piston..

Just look at a video of heart contracting on google and I think you will understand why the question was funny. :)

I was just wondering, that when your heart contracts and he empties the atrium/ventricle, what is presents inside these rooms?
There is a bit blood left inside the chambers, but for the rest? It can't be air.

In a very simple term imagine the heart to be comprised of two pumps, the atria and ventricle contracting in tandem. It is because of this arrangement, in a normal and healthy heart, the atria serves to fill the ventricle as it relaxes . Now, when the ventricle starts contracting the atrium relaxes and is being filled with blood for the next cycle.
Typically, normal human heart pumps out 50-60% of the blood inside the ventricular cavity with each contraction, which means significant portion of the blood remains in ventricle after contraction
This might be little complicated for you to understand but if you read the cardiac cycle it will be clear to you. Yes there will be vacuum /negative pressure created inside the ventricle momentarily after heart starts to relax. This is the period between the aortic valve closure and opening of mitral valve. This negative pressure is partly contributes to the filling the ventricle in the next cardiac cycle.

I hope it answers your question.

In a very simple term imagine the heart to be comprised of two pumps, the atria and ventricle contracting in tandem. It is because of this arrangement, in a normal and healthy heart, the atria serves to fill the ventricle as it relaxes . Now, when the ventricle starts contracting the atrium relaxes and is being filled with blood for the next cycle.
Typically, normal human heart pumps out 50-60% of the blood inside the ventricular cavity with each contraction, which means significant portion of the blood remains in ventricle after contraction
This might be little complicated for you to understand but if you read the cardiac cycle it will be clear to you. Yes there will be vacuum /negative pressure created inside the ventricle momentarily after heart starts to relax. This is the period between the aortic valve closure and opening of mitral valve. This negative pressure is partly contributes to the filling the ventricle in the next cardiac cycle.

I hope this answers your question.

Ok, look at this video from 0:22. Then maybe you can understand my confusion. In this animation, during systole, you can see that they show the ventricle as "empty" for a short amount of time. But what is this emptiness? I have a hard time visualizing the situation.

Or do the ventricle walls actually touch each other to reduce the volume? (like veins do when you measure blood pressure and you can hear them touch each other during auscultation?)

Ok, look at this video from 0:22. Then maybe you can understand my confusion. In this animation, during systole, you can see that they show the ventricle as "empty" for a short amount of time. But what is this emptiness? I have a hard time visualizing the situation.

Or do the ventricle walls actually touch each other to reduce the volume? (like veins do when you measure blood pressure and you can hear them touch each other during auscultation?)

That video is made of multiple loops. When the ventricle looks empty it is the time when their first loop ends and the next one starts. Its a problem of animation in their video but it never happens in the human body.
The pressure may vary, but the heart is always filled with blood ONLY.

Ok, thank you all for clarifying this for me!
i never got the chance to see this in clinic or with a proper visualization. :)