USMLE Heart sounds on Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elixir6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I searched around and couldn't find much information about heart sounds/auscultation. I can get questions right when they are described in writing + patient history, but when it comes to actually listening to the sounds - it's 50/50 shot. Heart sounds were never my strong suit.

Can someone tell me what the auscultation questions are like? Are they only described or do you actually listen to multimedia? Do you move around a stethoscope or just hear it at the left sternal border? Can you get the question right just by the history without listening to the actual sound? Is it all based on what maneuvers make the sounds louder/quieter or is there more to it?

Also does anyone know of a good resource/video/site to brush up at Step 2CK level? I have done Blaufuss and it helps, but I get like 50% on the quiz on that site which is worrisome. And honestly, I think that site is a little advanced for the Step 2 which is all I am after at this moment. Hopefully I will become much better with heart sounds through residency :-S

Members don't see this ad.

Most questions just described the murmur but there were also auscultation ones where you move the stethoscope around. My auscultation ones were really easy but the history didn't give them away.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. There are maybe 2 questions like that on Step 2 CK, one of which you'd probably figure out from the context without listening to anything. Don't get me wrong, it's great to learn heart sounds, but if you're concerned from a test taking perspective, don't be.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds good - so just know the basics is what I'm hearing. Sounds like there ain't gonna be a questions with two heart murmurs combined in a tachy patient.

Members don't see this ad :)