Heart Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creios

Reaction score
Good day!

I heard of a heart surgery where potassium chloride was administered to stop heartbeat. Isn't he/she technically dead that time? Isn't that going to damage organs? How can he/she possibly be revived? How does it work?

Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If only there was a way to “search” the vast limits of the interwebs to figure this out.......

Cmon.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tbh I wish that more people would think about this. People take surgery so lightly and act like their diabetic, htn, copd, obese self will just sail through open heart procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh I wish that more people would think about this. People take surgery so lightly and act like their diabetic, htn, copd, obese self will just sail through open heart procedures.
But grandma is only 96, we need to do everything. She doesn’t have any medical problems.

Reactions: 7 users
Good day!

I heard of a heart surgery where potassium chloride was administered to stop heartbeat. Isn't he/she technically dead that time? Isn't that going to damage organs? How can he/she possibly be revived? How does it work?

Thank you in advance! :)

Some great responses to you so far.

I recommend you look up cardiopulmonary bypass.

The pump diverts blood away from the venous side of the heart, oxygenates it, and puts it back in the aorta. After the clamp goes on, a high potassium solution is used to arrest the heart. The pump routes blood around the heart allowing us to work on it with a mostly bloodless and motionless field. This also keeps the organs alive. When the aortic cross clamp comes off, blood rushes back into the coronaries washing out all the cardioplegia. The body and heart are rewarmed. If you did it right (protected the heart) and moved along reasonably quickly, the heart wakes up just fine.

It’s pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
People used to live forever before vaccines and drug companies made all the illnesses so that they could profit #paleo4life

Reactions: 2 users
People used to live forever before vaccines and drug companies made all the illnesses so that they could profit #paleo4life
I've been saying that for years - 100 years ago, you were either healthy or dead. No one was sick, because, if you were, you died essentially right there from whatever it was.

Reactions: 2 users