Heartdropping DAT today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

torque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ahhhh I just gotta kick my nuts !!!!

PAT : 18
QR: 18
RC: 18
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 15 (WTF !!!!!)

ok, so I know that score won't cut it.

So what should I do?
Take the DAT again in three months?
Or should I look for a SMP? or postbac?

My GPA isn't that great either.

I think I saw some dental schools have a postbac program where upon the successful completion, the students are guaranteed to get into their dental school.. which ones are they?

Thanks. :(

I'm just so disappointed (married and a baby on the way)...

Members don't see this ad.

First off. your averages aren't horrible. Second, If you don't care where you get in, as long as you get in somewhere, you just have to apply smartly. The Health professions office at my school has the ADEA official guide to dental schools which break down each school and the average DAT scores and GPA's the kids who they accepted the previous year had.. . . The lowest DAT average i saw was Howard with a 16. But if thats average, remember from the 4 probability and statistics questions on your QR, that some of their applicants scored above that, and some of them even below that . . so you're in ok shape buddy :)

First off. your averages aren't horrible. Second, If you don't care where you get in, as long as you get in somewhere, you just have to apply smartly. The Health professions office at my school has the ADEA official guide to dental schools which break down each school and the average DAT scores and GPA's the kids who they accepted the previous year had.. . . The lowest DAT average i saw was Howard with a 16. But if thats average, remember from the 4 probability and statistics questions on your QR, that some of their applicants scored above that, and some of them even below that . . so you're in ok shape buddy :)

I think the majority of howard's class is URM. Which explains why they would have that average, dont look at that in comparison to most schools, unless OP is URM.

I just feel terrible for my wife and my baby :(

Wife was crying when I broke the news that I'm not getting in this year.

:(

You should tell your wife you need the support right now.... and you shouldnt put yourself down.....forget about the scores.... you took it and got some experience of going through it... take it again in 3 months. This time around study in all of your free time as painful as it will probably be....go over OC big time since it is the only score that really hurt you.... try to understand the rnxs...so that you wont get thrown off by the extra junk thrown onto molecules. Everything else just review well so it remains fresh.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thank you all for the encouraging words !!

They certainly made my day :)

Wife keeps asking me if I can just go ahead and apply with that score...
I told her no but what do you guys think?

I've already purchased the cliff's ap bio and planning to get Topscore asap so if everything goes as planned, I should be able to raise my scores at least a bit next time I think.

So apply with that score early or apply with better score 3 month later?

Again thanks for every one of encouraging words !!!

wow thank you all for the encouraging words !!

They certainly made my day :)

Wife keeps asking me if I can just go ahead and apply with that score...
I told her no but what do you guys think?

I've already purchased the cliff's ap bio and planning to get Topscore asap so if everything goes as planned, I should be able to raise my scores at least a bit next time I think.

So apply with that score early or apply with better score 3 month later?

Again thanks for every one of encouraging words !!!

APPLY NOW! They are going to see both DAT scores anyway there is no need to wait to retake in order to apply, sending it in that late is really pushing your luck! Apply and mark on your app that you are planning to retake, and if you really wanna be safe call the schools you are applying to and let them know you are retaking!! Just make sure you put that app in!

Best of luck to you, and i hope it works out(i know it will) it always does!

APPLY NOW! They are going to see both DAT scores anyway there is no need to wait to retake in order to apply, sending it in that late is really pushing your luck! Apply and mark on your app that you are planning to retake, and if you really wanna be safe call the schools you are applying to and let them know you are retaking!! Just make sure you put that app in!

Best of luck to you, and i hope it works out(i know it will) it always does!

Thanks!

So I've already e-submitted and indicated in the Future DAT date as October. So I guess as soon as I know the schools have received the applications, I will call them and let them know that I will be retaking the test.

They won't look at my app. until october right?

Thanks.

Thanks!

So I've already e-submitted and indicated in the Future DAT date as October. So I guess as soon as I know the schools have received the applications, I will call them and let them know that I will be retaking the test.

They won't look at my app. until october right?

Thanks.

They might look at it because there are DAT scores available, but you should call when its mailed out because its useless to call them and inform them about your retake when they dont have your app, then when you call simply inform them that you have a retake scheduled. They will then most likely put your app aside till your new scores come in. Get the materials you need and prepare well, and my advice to you is DO NOT underestimate the power of your undergrad textbooks and old notes. Yea cliffs, schaums, etc. is great and all but when you want to reference and get a good grasp on a certain topic those bulky textbooks are the best supplement. Goodluck man, sustain your motivation and you will do great!! 3 months is plenty of time to ROCK the DAT!

They might look at it because there are DAT scores available, but you should call when its mailed out because its useless to call them and inform them about your retake when they dont have your app, then when you call simply inform them that you have a retake scheduled. They will then most likely put your app aside till your new scores come in. Get the materials you need and prepare well, and my advice to you is DO NOT underestimate the power of your undergrad textbooks and old notes. Yea cliffs, schaums, etc. is great and all but when you want to reference and get a good grasp on a certain topic those bulky textbooks are the best supplement. Goodluck man, sustain your motivation and you will do great!! 3 months is plenty of time to ROCK the DAT!

Thanks !!!
Much appreciated !!

Hey, its only the end of july!!!! You can for sure still take the test again at the end of october and get into plenty of schools. The applications are open until Feb. Don't be to down on yourself about the score, and don't thinks its over. Think of this test as a practice run, and get up and do it again.

Torque,

I feel for you, but I also want to make sure that you realize that the combination of your scores and GPA make you a very uncompetitive student.

It is still not a bad idea to try and submit an application. :)

Torque,

I feel for you, but I also want to make sure that you realize that the combination of your scores and GPA make you a very uncompetitive student.

It is still not a bad idea to try and submit an application. :)

I hear you.
I'm going to retake the test again. Thanks.

Hey, its only the end of july!!!! You can for sure still take the test again at the end of october and get into plenty of schools. The applications are open until Feb. Don't be to down on yourself about the score, and don't thinks its over. Think of this test as a practice run, and get up and do it again.

Thank you sir!