HearUSA Working to Increase Awareness of Veteran's Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dustbug10

Year IV
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://audiology.advanceweb.com/New...To-Increase-Awareness-of-Veterans-Health.aspx

"HearUSA wants to recognize and honor the contribution of our fine servicemen and women, as well as the sacrifices made by their close family members," said Steve Hansbrough, chairman and CEO of HearUSA. "It is only with the support of their families during difficult deployments and upon their return that makes service by our veterans possible."

According to a recent Washington Post article, only about 8 million of the nation's 23 million veterans use VA benefits and health-care services. Additionally, of the Veterans of Foreign Wars members who were surveyed at the VFW National Convention, 50% identified themselves as suffering from some level of hearing loss. In fact, this issue is so important to veterans, the March 2011 edition of VFW Magazine is expected to feature an article on hearing loss.

Based on these statistics, combined with the millions of dependents without a hearing benefit, HearUSA realizes that there are a significant numbers of veteran households that can benefit from a discount hearing program designed just for them.

"Our ability to hear and interpret speech and sound is crucial to every facet of our lives, including social, emotional and educational," said Dr. Cindy Beyer, senior vice president of HearUSA. "With the help and advocacy of Veterans Care Plus, we are able to enrich the lives of veterans and their family members through quality hearing care."

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently at the VA in Tucson, AZ for a placement this semester. I also have experience with the military as I have been married to the Army for almost the past 3 yrs and my husband is being medically discharged.

I agree that there is a lot of Vets out there that dont know they have these benefits available. But we have people driving from New Mexico for services because it is the closest to them (approx 4-5hrs). So maybe they know about it but arent willing to drive 5 hrs for a hearing test, just to be told that they will have to come back in 3 months to get their hearing aids and any repairs have to be done at the VA. With that said I absolutely love love love the VA health care system with regards to Audiology.

Im currently at the VA in Tucson, AZ for a placement this semester. I also have experience with the military as I have been married to the Army for almost the past 3 yrs and my husband is being medically discharged.

I agree that there is a lot of Vets out there that dont know they have these benefits available. But we have people driving from New Mexico for services because it is the closest to them (approx 4-5hrs). So maybe they know about it but arent willing to drive 5 hrs for a hearing test, just to be told that they will have to come back in 3 months to get their hearing aids and any repairs have to be done at the VA. With that said I absolutely love love love the VA health care system with regards to Audiology.
Best wishes to your husband.

And you are very correct about travel times. Hopefully our generation can help to remedy that a bit.