heaviest interview month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ak1978

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to arrange my 4th year schedule & was wondering what the heaviest interviewing month typically is (December or January)?
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can pretty much schedule your interviews so that either of these months is the heaviest. The ultra competitive programs (hopkins, BW, MGH, etc.) tend to have most of their interview dates in Jan.

Yup, I agree with the previous poster. However, you will probably need to have at least a few interviews in both January and December, particularly if you have to fly, due to scheduling overlaps between some of your interviews. However, you can arrange it so that one month is much heavier then the other one. I was able to schedule most of my interviews in Dec, with 1 in January, and 2 in November. I went to 10 interviews, and tried to get most of them in Dec, when I had time off.

If you are not on a rotation that you absolutely have to be there, you can take off whenever you want to, just not too much. What are the attendings going to say "no, I don't want you to go to your interview"? Mine were mostly in early-mid December with a few in November. This gave me 5 weeks to play around after interviews with christmas and just chill.