Travel Reimbursement After Interviewing for Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FaithSaves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had interviewed for a group practice back in August. I had booked my hotel and flights to travel across the country. They stated they would reimburse my expenses and I had filled out a W2 form for them after the interview. They told me they will process it and reimburse me as soon as possible.

I was offered a contract but respectfully declined to pursue other options. They still had not reimburse me so I reached back out. They told me the reimbursement request was submitted to their payroll/HR but did not know when it would get refunded. I had been following up every 2 weeks or so but nothing was received. They finally told me they switched to a different system and was now depended on the backlog of other reimbursement. It has now been nearly 5 months and I have not received a check of the reimbursement.

This is a private equity backed group practice. I had asked to escalate it and see if I could speak to someone in HR but the recruiter would not give me contact info. Does it typically take this long for group to reimburse travel expenses? Is this within reasonable timeframe to expect reimbursement? What are some appropriate things I can do at this time? This expense, while minimal to some, is still significant in my day to day life. I'm just trying to recover it if I can.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder how many they ghosted on this. Unless you have a written agreement, you might consider giving up.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing you can do is escalate it to HR. I had a similar thing happen where I was not reimbursed after 2 months. I escalated it to someone in charge and they said they will expedite the reimbursement. This was about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully my check will come soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I had interviewed for a group practice back in August. I had booked my hotel and flights to travel across the country. They stated they would reimburse my expenses and I had filled out a W2 form for them after the interview. They told me they will process it and reimburse me as soon as possible.

I was offered a contract but respectfully declined to pursue other options. They still had not reimburse me so I reached back out. They told me the reimbursement request was submitted to their payroll/HR but did not know when it would get refunded. I had been following up every 2 weeks or so but nothing was received. They finally told me they switched to a different system and was now depended on the backlog of other reimbursement. It has now been nearly 5 months and I have not received a check of the reimbursement.

This is a private equity backed group practice. I had asked to escalate it and see if I could speak to someone in HR but the recruiter would not give me contact info. Does it typically take this long for group to reimburse travel expenses? Is this within reasonable timeframe to expect reimbursement? What are some appropriate things I can do at this time? This expense, while minimal to some, is still significant in my day to day life. I'm just trying to recover it if I can.
I did a rheumatology interview at a private equity backed group practice and the same thing happened…was never reimbursed despite promises.

I wonder how many they ghosted on this. Unless you have a written agreement, you might consider giving up.
I believe most institutions have guidelines regarding travel reimbursement. It is likely within somewhere their policy.

The only thing you can do is escalate it to HR. I had a similar thing happen where I was not reimbursed after 2 months. I escalated it to someone in charge and they said they will expedite the reimbursement. This was about 2 weeks ago. Hopefully my check will come soon
Who did you talk to in order to get the contact for HR for escalation?

I did a rheumatology interview at a private equity backed group practice and the same thing happened…was never reimbursed despite promises.

Is it possible to go through a small claims court to recover the fees? That was going to be my last resort. At what point should that be considered?

Small claims court would probably be useless unless you have a written agreement.

I believe most institutions have guidelines regarding travel reimbursement. It is likely within somewhere their policy.

Who did you talk to in order to get the contact for HR for escalation?

Is it possible to go through a small claims court to recover the fees? That was going to be my last resort. At what point should that be considered?
I talked to the recruiter and she escalated it to HR. It sounds like the recruiter you’re talking to unfortunately is not very helpful.