1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

HEEELP question about postbac/gpa/etc.

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by alphabetac, Dec 10, 2008.

1. alphabetac

Pre-Medical
    Hi, I'm currently a junior with 40-50 credits left to take with a current overall gpa of 3.018. My sci gpa is even worst, probably around 2.3ish. So far, I have only taken bio, chem, 1 semester of math and 1 semester of organic chem.. and the sad thing is.. during freshmen year I took both bio and chem and received C's but.. somehow I managed a B+ in organic chemistry. I still have approximately 15 credits left to fill the bare minimum sci/math reqs... so I might be able to pull it up to a 2.7ish.. which still sucks.

My question is, would a postbac help me out? I read from other forums that said that if I managed to get 3.8+ for a postbac, it would increase my chances dramatically but after reading this forum (because they look at undergrad gpa and postbac gpa separately?) it looks like med schools would just average the two together. Another question, I currently have 4 W's and 1 N/C... which really sucks... so how badly would it affect my chances at 1) a postbac and 2) a med school with 3.8+ postbac gpa... I have pretty good recommendations, ec's and a 37 on my mcats...

thanks for your time

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JeetKuneDo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think a post bac would help you. I believe that postbac and ug gpa are counted in the same group, with a graduate degree(masters, smp, phd) being looked at separately. I'd say do the postbac for a year or two and hopefully your mcat will still be vaild by then, cuz that is a really good score.

4. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

On an AMCAS application form, your undergrad years (Fr, So, Jr, Sr) each have a separate line with your GPA for that year. Post-bac is on its own line, but then it is averaged with all other undergrad grades. Finally, all graduate work is listed on its own.

I think you need to start proving now that you can handle the rigor of med school classes by getting straight As from now on. Let your record speak that you have turned things around and are a new person. If you graduate, any informally taken classes would be considered "post-bac". You don't necessarily need to do a formal (more expensive) program.