Helllooo? What's happening to SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

uptoolate

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday someone told a pre-med mother of three she should have kept her legs closed if she wanted to go to medical school. Today, the gay friendly schools threads actually has quotes from the Epistles of St. Paul to back up the poster's belief that they [students seeking gay friendly schools]lead an immoral and sinful life (which, by the way, points to the need to have had that thread in the first place).

1. Hi- I thought this was a forum to "navigate" through the med school application process.

2. Hi again, to quote Old School- I thought this was a safe place. Maybe not. Maybe I'm naive. Maybe we should open the ethinic minority threads to the KKK.

3. Maybe I'm the only one offended by the recent turn in atmosphere- In which case- 'bye. I don't need to be here.

Members don't see this ad.

uptoolate said:
Okay, so yesterday someone told a pre-med mother of three she should have kept her legs closed if she wanted to go to medical school. Today, the gay friendly schools threads actually has quotes from the Epistles of St. Paul to back up the poster's belief that they [students seeking gay friendly schools]lead an immoral and sinful life (which, by the way, points to the need to have had that thread in the first place).

1. Hi- I thought this was a forum to "navigate" through the med school application process.

2. Hi again, to quote Old School- I thought this was a safe place. Maybe not. Maybe I'm naive. Maybe we should open the ethinic minority threads to the KKK.

3. Maybe I'm the only one offended by the recent turn in atmosphere- In which case- 'bye. I don't need to be here.

hi-- i hear you. as a lesbian premed, i've already come to terms with the fact that i'll probably have to stay closeted to my classmates, coworkers, etc. in the medical field. what can you do? this field is full of pompous republicans. rather than get depressed or angry about it, i've just maintained a social circle OUTSIDE of school, work, and anywhere else that has anything to do with medicine.

my desire to be a doctor outweighs the cons of having to be surrounded by right-wing conservatives. unfortunate though it is, i think it's just a reality of the field.

yeah, I thought physicians were supposed to be the compassionate ones. Doesn't make me optimistic about the way the profession is heading (although this forum doesn't speak for the qualities of all pre-meds). I guess some of these people don't realize that their patients will probably be of diverse backgrounds, at least until they establish that private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are so right! I have been asking Pyscho doctor to really quit preaching nonsense to those who do not subscribe to nonsense. And really, some people are entirely insensitive. Your examples of the "turn in the atmosphere" are really quite tame. I have read worse. At this point, no new information can be learned from SDN. I come here for reprieve from my work and not to garner any useful information. SDN is nothing more than entertainment for me. The only useful threads are those on Stanford and non-rolling schools. Every other thread is useless crap. Of these, I only read the ones that are likely to spur flame wars. Then I sit back, kick my feet up, read the silly posts, eat popcorn and laugh at how truly silly people are. Join me. Don't get disillusioned. SDN was never meant to save the world. The same silly people who reside in our world own computers and can manage to log on to the internet. They can manage to find SDN, and unfortunately for us, they have learned how to post evidence of their malformed brains. It's amusement. Treat it as such.

uptoolate said:

don't let the leftists get to you. they are in the minority, and the tolerant ones don't argue with them because they are, well....tolerant of their ignorance.

juniper456 said:
hi-- i hear you. as a lesbian premed, i've already come to terms with the fact that i'll probably have to stay closeted to my classmates, coworkers, etc. in the medical field. what can you do? this field is full of pompous republicans. rather than get depressed or angry about it, i've just maintained a social circle OUTSIDE of school, work, and anywhere else that has anything to do with medicine.

my desire to be a doctor outweighs the cons of having to be surrounded by right-wing conservatives. unfortunate though it is, i think it's just a reality of the field.

This makes me mad. I hate that anyone would have to hide what/who they are. And to add to the rants...

I am tired of the posters who talk about how they have managed their schooling/careers while having kids...and then point out how their wife stays home with their kids. Then they condemn women who want kids and a medical education. Hypocrites. The same people who condemned medmom for having three kids....great huge amounts of BS dumped on all of their heads.

:mad:

Scarletbegonias said:
yeah, I thought physicians were supposed to be the compassionate ones.
MUHAHAHA

clkimmey said:
don't let the leftists get to you. they are in the minority, and the tolerant ones don't argue with them because they are, well....tolerant of their ignorance.

Leftists??? :confused:

Oh boy! Another thread whining about how people won't just "stop judging"!! OMG! We're all bigots!! Yey!!

abraxas20 said:
Leftists??? :confused:

Perhaps the OP lives in England. They drive on the opposite side of the road there. In America, the left is the right place to be to sit behind your wheel and drive your car, ever advancing forward.

GuyLaroche said:
Perhaps the OP lives in England. They drive on the opposite side of the road there. In America, the left is the right place to be to sit behind your wheel and drive your car, ever advancing forward.

I like how you mix your metaphors: first you talk about which side of the ROAD to drive on and then you talk about which side of the CAR to sit on. Wow! It's almost as if you have no point and are grasping at straws!

uptoolate said:

1) Me too.

2) Yeah, I feel like this really goes in cycles, everything is okay for awhile, but then someone starts making ignorant comments. I've been pretty offended by the comments put on one of the med student blogs too. In a bizarre way, I'm glad to be reminded that these people do exist because I know they're out there and it helps to know what you're up against.

3) So, no, you're certainly not the only one offended.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG! Why can't we just live in peace without "ignorant comments"! I can't believe that "those people" are around here, messing up my tolerance! WTF?! Can't someone get rid of them so that my truly awesome and superior belief is the only one left standing? :laugh: Damn, you're pathetic.

kinetic said:
I like how you mix your metaphors: first you talk about which side of the ROAD to drive on and then you talk about which side of the CAR to sit on. Wow! It's almost as if you have no point and are grasping at straws!

You are right. I was going to try to make the argument that being leftist was the right way to be, but then I realize that Americans do drive on the right side of the road and that it is in fact the English that drive on the left side. (Any wonder why they are more progressive than we are?) Somewhere in making my case for America, I realized that one cannot be made and so I decided to force the analogy to fit my intended purpose.

... And don't try to outsmart me. I am quite smart. Quite.

People get offended way too easily, IMHO.

And too indignant far more often than that.

With that said, I think there is a tact and a sense propriety that is missing far too often, particularly in the above-mentioned threads.

I personally don't think anyone should need a safe-place, at least in the field of ideas, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Well, I guess with the exception of kinetic lol :laugh:

GuyLaroche said:
... And don't try to outsmart me. I am quite smart. Quite.

If you were quite smart, then you would realize that being a leftist is not the right way to be. :laugh:

GuyLaroche said:
You are so right! I have been asking Pyscho doctor to really quit preaching nonsense to those who do not subscribe to nonsense. And really, some people are entirely insensitive. Your examples of the "turn in the atmosphere" are really quite tame. I have read worse. At this point, no new information can be learned from SDN. I come here for reprieve from my work and not to garner any useful information. SDN is nothing more than entertainment for me. The only useful threads are those on Stanford and non-rolling schools. Every other thread is useless crap. Of these, I only read the ones that are likely to spur flame wars. Then I sit back, kick my feet up, read the silly posts, eat popcorn and laugh at how truly silly people are. Join me. Don't get disillusioned. SDN was never meant to save the world. The same silly people who reside in our world own computers and can manage to log on to the internet. They can manage to find SDN, and unfortunately for us, they have learned how to post evidence of their malformed brains. It's amusement. Treat it as such.

you are hypocritical. You think I am a bigot, look at you.... :smuggrin:

uptoolate said:

Yeah, thats kind of the way it is around here. If you can manage to ignore the crap, to mine for the little nuggets of gold, its OK. SDN is a lot of ego, a lot of arguing, and a lot of matching of wits.

I have found that things are usually a lot more cordial in the pre-osteo forum, and the allo and osteo forums.

Just live and let live..........people will always have opinions.......stay happy....the people who are jealous and hate will filter out of your life.

redgrover said:
People get offended way too easily, IMHO.

And too indignant far more often than that.

I personally don't think anyone should need a safe-place, at least in the field of ideas, but I guess I'm in the minority.

edit: welcome (derived from well come) to the real world

This is the internet, people who are easily offended by some sleezeball at the other end of some computer are just plain silly. You think SDN is bad, you should try playing some video games online. "N" bomb dropped left and right, etc. (and I don't mean "noob" :laugh: )

Psycho Doctor said:
you are hypocritical. You think I am a bigot, look at you.... :smuggrin:

You ran out of Bible verses to quote, didn't you?

Psycho Doctor said:
well come to the real world

Actually, dear Christian friend, it's "welcome." The word doesn't appear in the great book, and so you were probably unsure of the spelling. It's what happens when all you know comes from prehistoric text.

God bless.

GuyLaroche said:
i only quote Bible verses when asked, or when someone else made a Bible reference that needed additional clarification. But good try.

Disagreement is the natural product of web forums. SDN, and all like it, are catalysts for this kind of dialogue. Personally, I like it. There are things that I think are wrong and I just can't believe are said, but that's the beauty of the forum. Anybody can say any thing they damn well please without fear of "real" consequences. If what somebody says is just too absurd to handle, then at least it gets others thinking about the issues and posting forces somebody to slowly think through their response. That's why I love free speach, it's why I listen to damn Rush any chance I get. Some of the idiocy put out there makes me so mad that I'm forced to think about exactly why it's idiocy--exactly why I stand where I stand on issues.

SDN would be a stale, boring place if we didn't talk about real issues and allow everybody on every extreme side of the issues to say their piece. If somebody is really putting you off, excercise the "ignore" option. If something is out-and-out trolling, the mods do a reasonable job of getting rid of it. The things about GLBT issues, racial issues (even the infamous AA threads), politics, society, war, economics, everything that really gets people riled up, are extremely useful to discuss--especially for pre-meds. All of these things need to have been thought through before and during the application process and all of them are vitally important to the future of our chosen profession.

To the point: if someone is really being inappropriate, ignore them or report them to the mods. Otherwise what they are saying is constructive on some level for someone.

Cheers,

-dope-

GuyLaroche said:
Actually, dear Christian friend, it's "welcome." The word doesn't appear in the great book, and so you were probably unsure of the spelling. It's what happens when all you know comes from prehistoric text.

God bless.

oops sorry, typo...i can spell but am the world's worst typist and my mind is thinking in other directions when i'm typing..i know, a really bad habit..so sorry :oops:

Lol, England more progressive than the US? Hah.

Sorry, just the use of that term cracks me up. It's kind of like a fatty calling herself Gorgeous or something when it's the people doing the looking who will judge her on that matter.

EDIT: Don't you love how this guy actually tries to beg for sympathy when he makes posts like this?

Well, blow me down! There's a tolerant "progressive" for you. Looking at the two, who is the one on the attack and acting like a bigot, and who is the one being "tolerant?"

As we call see from the above post, "progressive" means "open-minded, at least when you think like me." I guess "backwards" would mean someone who doesn't think like this guy?

Cool! I love being in a forum where it's OK to bust on religious people -- well, certain religious people; don't rip on Islam, you dirty dirty Christian bastard! Those Bible thumpers are ignorant and ******ed, not like the rest of us enlightened and tolerant people! Viva la difference!

GuyLaroche said:

God bless.

please don't use "God bless" when you don't mean it

The real problem on this site (as wonderfully demonstrated by kinetic) is the adolescent posturing. If concerns about being gay in school offend you, don't read those posts. Simple as that. Going around complaining about "tolerance" is laughable coming from you little kids. Grow up.

OMG! We're "little kids" and heeter is "the adult!" Wow! Thanks for telling me! Let's see, so far it looks like all you leftists have in your repertoire is to say "my view is CLEARLY the adult and intelligent way to think, so anyone who disagrees with me is a child and stupid!" Oh, let's not forget the "I demand tolerance" and "why can't we all not judge?!?" whiny crap. That goes out the door once you realize that you're a total hypocrite, to be replaced by "just don't read my threads!" :laugh:

crybaby.jpg

uptoolate said:

I really hope you don't leave sdn. Pre-allo is a great source of info... but sometimes you will have jerks on sdn. But most of us are nice and open-minded.

why is leftist thrown as an insult? :D

GuyLaroche said:

God bless.

By the way, the word welcome comes FROM the phrase well come, but seriously, is there a point in picking on grammar? Nevermind, go ahead.

Also, gotta hate those fricking republicans, always stereotyping and prejudging people....[/irony?]

Psycho Doctor said:
please don't use "God bless" when you don't mean it

Please write "G-d" instead of using an o. No? Don't want to? Well, I'm right and you're wrong, so you have to do what I say. Doesn't make sense to you? No?

Then why do you tell others what to do?

:idea: I know!! Because you subscribe to a babyish way of thinking -- ie, that you're always right!!

People can write whatever they choose. Ostracize them all you want; it just makes you seem stupider.

Pre-allo can be a good resource with solid information. The rumors about adcoms may be shaky but can be helpful.

Don't expect this board to be much of a 'community' though. Many posters are hyper-competitive, many are very earnest but many are helpful too. However, since the application process is ultra-competitive, I think it's best to rely on your own skills, knowledge and instinct.

kinetic said:
OMG! We're "little kids" and heeter is "the adult!" Wow! Thanks for telling me! Let's see, so far it looks like all you leftists have in your repertoire is to say "my view is CLEARLY the adult and intelligent way to think, so anyone who disagrees with me is a child and stupid!" Oh, let's not forget the "I demand tolerance" and "why can't we all not judge?!?" whiny crap. That goes out the door once you realize that you're a total hypocrite, to be replaced by "just don't read my threads!" :laugh:

Who is the one whining on here? If you are not a troll, anwer me this Mr. Grownup -- What exactly is your view? All I've seen you do is complain about "leftists" crushing your voice with intolerance. If you would kindly read the OP, he is talking about jerkoffs invading threads with garbage. Where do you stand? Is it ok for hateful people to hijack a thread with their own IN-tolerance? Is it IN-tolerant to view those hateful people as jerkoffs?

I suspect you haven't thought all that much about it. Or, you are a troll.

stinkycheese said:
Please write "G-d" instead of using an o. No? Don't want to? Well, I'm right and you're wrong, so you have to do what I say. Doesn't make sense to you? No?

:idea: I know!! Because you subscribe to a babyish way of thinking -- ie, that you're always right!!

People can write whatever they choose. Ostracize them all you want; it just makes you seem stupider.

And yet the hilarious part was that GuyLarouche was chastizing him on writing "welcome" improperly. Oh, wait, all your bluster about "ostracization" and "people can write whatever they choose" and "you're stupider" go out the window because he was ripping on some dumb-ass religious zealot, right?

aprilshyla said:
why is leftist thrown as an insult? :D

to offer a balance of when usually "right winged conservative" is used as an insult :p

In one sense I agree with dopaminophile - that there are benefits to the controversial discussions - but I've found that the discussion on SDN generally takes place on such an elementary level that it's a waste of time compared to reading up on the issue yourself. There are articles and books that discuss any controversial issue with far more nuance and sophistication than can be found on this site.

I'm also bothered by knee-jerk demonization of the other side that usually plays into these discussions. It's not enough to explain your disagreement with someone; anyone who disagrees with you must automatically be an ignoramus/cannibal/satan. :rolleyes: When I've gotten into "controversial" discussions, the first thing I usually end up having to do is calm down the other guy and assure him that I'm not the malevolent cannibalistic demon he presumes me to be, just because we happen to disagree about a few things. :laugh:

The main thing I've realized is that many differences in political viewpoints do ultimately derive from differences in religious beliefs and theology. And that makes discussion even more pointless, in the sense that people's political beliefs have much deeper personal roots than what may initially seem to be the case. Note: I'm not saying that faith ought not to be a root of political beliefs; just that it makes discussion of these issues that much more pointless. To name a few hypothetical examples, a Biblical literalist is never going to convince an agnostic that homosexuality is a sin; and an atheist is never going to convince a devout person that it's ok to use stem cells from embryos that the latter person believes have souls. And that's that.

kinetic said:
And yet the hilarious part was that GuyLarouche was chastizing him on writing "welcome" improperly. Oh, wait, all your bluster about "ostracization" and "people can write whatever they choose" and "you're stupider" go out the window because he was ripping on some dumb-ass religious zealot, right?

right :thumbup:

stinkycheese said:

HAHAHAHAHA

Ok, pretty sure he wasnt being dead serious. But lets not lose sight of the fact that Guy said "God bless" to be condescending... Yer kind of taking this one and running with it, but just relax.

Hari Krishna
Shalom
God Bless
as-Salam-u-'Alaikum
Word to ya Mutha

We need a MOD up in this piece....Evo, Mom, Guy, where are you? We got a drive by goin on and nothing to stand behind.

leechy said:
In one sense I agree with dopaminophile - that there are benefits to the controversial discussions - but I've found that the discussion on SDN generally takes place on such an elementary level that it's a waste of time compared to reading up on the issue yourself. There are articles and books that discuss any controversial issue with far more nuance and sophistication than can be found on this site.

I'm also bothered by knee-jerk demonization of the other side that usually plays into these discussions. It's not enough to explain your disagreement with someone; anyone who disagrees with you must automatically be an ignoramus/cannibal/satan. :rolleyes: When I've gotten into "controversial" discussions, the first thing I usually end up having to do is calm down the other guy and assure him that I'm not the malevolent cannibalistic demon he presumes me to be, just because we happen to disagree about a few things. :laugh:

The main thing I've realized is that many differences in political viewpoints do ultimately derive from differences in religious beliefs and theology. And that makes discussion even more pointless, in the sense that people's political beliefs have much deeper personal roots than what may initially seem to be the case. Note: I'm not saying that faith ought not to be a root of political beliefs; just that it makes discussion of these issues that much more pointless. To name a few hypothetical examples, a Biblical literalist is never going to convince an agnostic that homosexuality is a sin; and an atheist is never going to convince a devout person that it's ok to use stem cells from embryos that the latter person believes have souls. And that's that.
hey i have nothing against using stem cells for research

they're are many helpful people on sdn and many helpful threads; you just have to know which ones to read and who to solicit advice from.

when there are personal issues that a small minority subscribe to, perhaps e-mail, AIM or PM is more effective to avoid controversy.

virilep said:
We need a MOD up in this piece....Evo, Mom, Guy, where are you? We got a drive by goin on and nothing to stand behind.

Yo, where's Jamier2???

Status
Not open for further replies.