hello Advice on psy/phd please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narree

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone, the more i read from everyone i realize the less i know. I am intrerested in a psyD, and i am relocating to the florida area, in hopes of finding a good school. i see now all think Argosy is 2nd rate, good to know, the last thing i want is to move my family, pay a s-load of money, and find when i graduate with a psyD i cant get a job or all i can make is 12.00 an hr any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thx

Members don't see this ad.

Narree said:
when i graduate with a psyD i cant get a job or all i can make is 12.00 an hr any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thx

Well as you read past posts I am sure that you got a feel for peoples' thoughts and ideas about PsyD / PhD. I am sure you know that psychology is not the field to go into for the money aspect, although one can make a decent level of income as a psychologist and some can make lots of money as a psychologist / business savy clinician. A PsyD degree is not going to hinder you in any shape or form as far as a clinical jobs go. In a research or academic career you may find some hurdles to climb with the PsyD degree. I would avoid the professional schools an go for universsity based PsyD programs if you choose to get a PsyD. Some of these actually have great funding sources. Typically PhD programs have better funding than PsyDs but a PhD will take longer to complete do to the required research . So there are trade offs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, being able to be support my self after grad school is importamt but not number one, the views on the school however is very important to me, so you helped a ton. Reaseach is not my main area of intrest thats why i though a psy d would be better. I looked on the net at psych programs and requested info from several schools and argosy call me personaly, so i needed to know from everyone what they thought of them and their program thanks again.

Do you have any information related to the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship (HPSP)?

To the original poster: Why don't you find a good program and then relocate to wherever it is? Doesn't that seem to make the most sense?

I have a friend who entered grad school at 24,, went through a stanard MA, and then finished with a partial distance PhD in psych. This was done out of necessity (wife, kid family). His degree is accredited by WASC. He PD'd at a hospital for 1 + year, and then was placed on the medical staff as an attending clinicain for his unit. Things happen if you make them. He now has no debt, has furthered his training in medical/health psych to get inpatient admission privs at local hospitals etc.. Good schools are great, but if you cannot get in because you are not good enough, or more likely you are not minority enought then try other options...they work

:D