Hello Every one!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Dear Friends,
I am an International Dentsit.It is my first msg here.Happy To see you around as my friends.
I plan to get prepared for taking NDBE part 1 and TOEFL iBT in one year.My Goals:NDBE part 1>97 and TOEFL iBT>110:)
I have been very far from the Dentistry world(Academic and Practical) for several years.My GPA is low too.In fact,It is about 2.94 now ,but I don't know what it would be after being evaluated by ECE.:confused:I have some low and fail grades in my Dental School Transcripts.:(I am a little worried about those obstacles of course, but I plan to fight for success.I believe I can!:)
Any Recommendations or tips would be welcome in advance.
Please help me with my concerns about my GPA &....
I plan to Start my studies tomorrow.:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

2.94 is not bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Look around at acceptance threads, you'll see that plenty of candidates have GPA similar to yours. 110+ in TOEFL is totally doable.
Study hard for NBDE, simultaneously working on your Statement of purpose.
Good Luck:D

hi there,
well as they say aim at stars and if you miss you will land on sky..
As far as nbde scores go if you wanna get scores in 90's you have to work really really really hard especially with the new format.but you have high hopes and dats exactly wt 1 needs to succeed.
As far as toefl goes its achievable too.
About gpa..I donno how you came up with 2.9 without evaluating from ece but even if it is so,its not so bad.people have been accepted with even lower gpa's in the past.Some schools consider gpa but some dont.
Besides nbde ,toefl and gpa,a very important thing is your experience after graduation and post grad training if any.
So if you are already in US try to get dental assistantship either paid or volunteer so that you can get recommendation letters from here.
Also if you can get enrolled into a Masters or certificate program in public health; assuming its easy to get into compared to dental specialties will make you a strong candidate for dds program.
So my friend you have a very tough and long way to go but if you keep faith in you and be persistant,your success is for sure.
I hope its helpful.
best of luck
Hello Dear Friends,
I am an International Dentsit.It is my first msg here.Happy To see you around as my friends.
I plan to get prepared for taking NDBE part 1 and TOEFL iBT in one year.My Goals:NDBE part 1>97 and TOEFL iBT>110:)
I have been very far from the Dentistry world(Academic and Practical) for several years.My GPA is low too.In fact,It is about 2.94 now ,but I don't know what it would be after being evaluated by ECE.:confused:I have some low and fail grades in my Dental School Transcripts.:(I am a little worried about those obstacles of course, but I plan to fight for success.I believe I can!:)
Any Recommendations or tips would be welcome in advance.
Please help me with my concerns about my GPA &....
I plan to Start my studies tomorrow.:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
2.94 is not bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Look around at acceptance threads, you'll see that plenty of candidates have GPA similar to yours. 110+ in TOEFL is totally doable.
Study hard for NBDE, simultaneously working on your Statement of purpose.
Good Luck:D

Dear Friend La fea,
Thanks really much for your support and kind advise.You know, My transcripts have not been evaluated by ECE yet.(I myself have converted the GPA scoring system in my country to that of US.)So,I am somehow worried about the results of my transcript evaluation by ECE staff.:scared:
Your kind attention and friendly advice mean to me a lot.
Congratulations to You on your superb performance and being accepted to UCSF 2009! :clap::claps:
Would you please share your status with me?(your GPA-NDBE & TOEFL scores)?
Thanks really much.
Keep in touch pls.:)

If you think your scores are going to be too low with ECE, go for schools that accept different evaluators. I know Loma Linda and Colorado accept evaluations from WES and AACRAO. They ususally give you a higher GPA. This is just a tip for you...

I got accepted at UOP with a GPA of 2.8 (from ECE). Just know that some schools will look at your stats, some at your experience and some will take you as a whole package. Do your homework and find the ones that will be more adequate to your situation. Good luck!!!! :)

Last edited:
If you think your scores are going to be too low with ECE, go for schools that accept different evaluators. I know Loma Linda and Colorado accept evaluations from WES and AACRAO. They ususally give you a higher GPA. This is just a tip for you...

I got accepted at UOP with a GPA of 2.8 (from ECE). Just know that some schools will look at your stats, some at your experience and some will take you as a whole package. Do your homework and find the ones that will be more adequate to your situation. Good luck!!!! :)

Dear Vejaeju,
Thanks for your response.I really appreciate your attention.Could you please tell me what was your GPA before being evaluated by ECE?
I don't know what is the GPA calculation system in your country.In my country it is calculated on a 20 scale.Mine was 14.73 on the 20 scale.Supposing that it had been calculated on a 4 scale, it could have equalled to 2.94.I mean I just converted it to the US system.I don't know how ECE calculate the GPA?It seems rather scarry to me!:scared:
Any experience regarding low GPA's(from your friends &...) and acceptance to Adnances standing programs in US Dental schools would be appreciated.
And,Would you please do me a favor and write your NDBE & TOEFL scores to me?
Thanks really really much.Hope you the best and congratulations to you on being accepted at UOP ,one of the best US dental schools:claps::):clap:.Good Luck my friend!:)

hi there,
well as they say aim at stars and if you miss you will land on sky..
As far as nbde scores go if you wanna get scores in 90's you have to work really really really hard especially with the new format.but you have high hopes and dats exactly wt 1 needs to succeed.
As far as toefl goes its achievable too.
About gpa..I donno how you came up with 2.9 without evaluating from ece but even if it is so,its not so bad.people have been accepted with even lower gpa's in the past.Some schools consider gpa but some dont.
Besides nbde ,toefl and gpa,a very important thing is your experience after graduation and post grad training if any.
So if you are already in US try to get dental assistantship either paid or volunteer so that you can get recommendation letters from here.
Also if you can get enrolled into a Masters or certificate program in public health; assuming its easy to get into compared to dental specialties will make you a strong candidate for dds program.
So my friend you have a very tough and long way to go but if you keep faith in you and be persistant,your success is for sure.
I hope its helpful.
best of luck

Hello Dear Friend,
Thanks for your response.It means a lot to me.:)
I converted my GPA to the US GPA grading system.It was 14.73 on the 20 scale.I concluded that if it had been calculated on the 4 scale, it would have been about 2.94.But,I don't know what would the results after getting my dental school transcripts evaluated by ECE.It seems rather thrilling!:scared:
I am in my home country now but I plan to move to Canada soon and there, I will take NDBE part 1.Unfortunately, I don't have considerable clinical experience due to some personal problems.But, I am really cmmitted to make for it and I am sure it would need motivation and determination.

Nothing is as strong as our WILL...:nod:;)

In my country the GPA goes from 0 to 10, and mine was 7.38. To Brazilian standards, that was a nice GPA, but it became a mere 2.8 (ECE) when converted to the American scale.

My stats are not that good, so, again, for most schools it's more about your resume than numbers. I have been working as a dental assistant and surgical assistant for the past 7 years (in US). I had 2 thesis written (in Brazil), since I have a master degree in Pediatric Dentistry. I did an Emergency Room internship (in Brazil) at the University Hospital, dental concentration, for 1 year and I worked in Brazil in private practice for 4 years. I also taught Anatomy and Phisiology of the Head and Neck in a technical school before I came to the US. I got an excelent TOEFL score (115), but the rest was below average. I had 80 in my NBDE and thought a lot about re-taking it, but then I decided to apply to UOP just to see what happened...I guess they liked my experience and practical test and disregarded my low NBDE.

I am married, work full time, have 2 little kids. I really didn't have time to study a lot for the NBDE. But I took my chances and applied with a low score and, praise to God, got accepted. :)

Thank you for wishing me all the best. Looks like your GPA is pretty close to mine, since in Brazil it's a 10 scale. Good luck to you and keep the faith!

Dear Friend La fea,
Thanks really much for your support and kind advise.You know, My transcripts have not been evaluated by ECE yet.(I myself have converted the GPA scoring system in my country to that of US.)So,I am somehow worried about the results of my transcript evaluation by ECE staff.:scared:
Your kind attention and friendly advice mean to me a lot.
Congratulations to You on your superb performance and being accepted to UCSF 2009! :clap::claps:
Would you please share your status with me?(your GPA-NDBE & TOEFL scores)?
Thanks really much.
Keep in touch pls.:)

Thank you so much :D
My status- NB 1/2 87/80, GPA 3.83, and Toefl 110.

As far as GPA is concerned I am not sure how ECE does it. I am from India and we were evaluated on a scale of 200 (100 each for written and practical) and my over all grades were above average.

My advice to you is don't break your head calculating the US GPA yourself. Let ECE do it. If the worst should happen and your GPA is too low(< 2), get the evals done by WES and some of the others and apply to schools that accept those evaluations. It has been said before, a good CV, SOP, and hand skills will carry you far furthur than numbers ever will.
Good luck.