Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Hello from a pre-med anesthesiologist wannabe

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by Surferboy, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Surferboy

Surferboy basileus
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey..didnt want to sound like a pompous kid because I'm not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. badgas

badgas Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats, you are already done with half of your personal statement. Gold star for you.

3. n2bait

2+ Year Member

Congrats on a good career choice.

Your early interest and experience will make for an excellent personal statement, not that you'll need it with all of your connections! I got many compliments for my ps that told of my aspirations to become an anesthesiologist since I was in the 7th grade.

Just some advice: when you go to medical school, keep an open mind about your specialties. You don't want to compromise your education by being narrow-sighted, plus you may find yourself falling in love with another specialty! Luckily for me, Anesthesiology is my destiny AND the best field for me.

btw, my very first lecture of medical school was about the epidemiology of safety, but focused almost entirely on anesthesiology. Coincidence?

Good luck with your career...

4. fakin' the funk

fakin' the funk ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're a douche.

5. badgas

badgas Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Listen, you've had 7 posts now bragging about your family, UCLA, UCSF, etc... Honest advice would be to give it a rest. Post away with questions, comments, and opinions... but you don't need to mention all of your "accomplishments" in every post.

6. Packamylase

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I don't know why exactly, but that just strikes me as SO funny. Sounds like Napolean Dynamite!

7. loveumms

loveumms Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Surferboy - you come off as a pompous spoiled little rich boy who will use his connections to get him into med school and beyond. It is great that you have such a love for anesthesia however you really need to know when to keep your mouth shut (and I’m sure you will learn all this as you grow up).

It’s wonderful that you have connections in the anesthesia world but, don’t go spewing them all over the place. ESPECIALLY when you get into med school. We all know the person who is well connected and uses those connections out in the open to get what they want. I’m sure it’s hard not to tell everyone who you know but, behind your back everyone is going to be laughing and talking about how the only reason you got where you are is because your name/connections. Furthermore, if you really suck and are either incompetent or stupid then it will only be more apparent. SO, study hard, work hard and keep some things to yourself.

8. Gern Blansten

Gern Blansten Account on Hold
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Come on, he only did that in 5/7 posts.:p

9. zippy2u

zippy2u Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hell, with all this blue blood goin' around, I'll have you know that Stoelting's mother is related to my family. The last time I checked, Stoelting beats a Cullen hands down. ---Regards ----Zippy

10. badgas

badgas Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And I'm the father of Anna Nicole's kid... I hope that gets me my #1!!! I sent that in my thank you letters, so I'll let you all know if it works out.

11. OP
    OP
    Surferboy

Surferboy basileus
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey sorry If I sounded like an arrogant pompous loser. I'm not. Don't worry, I'm working my ass off by myself and my parents don't even know what the hell I'm doing. I just am excited about going in to medicine and following my elders' foosteps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Gasboy07

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Better break out the ether and the chloroform then! heheheheeh! :p

Good luck and sometimes you'll find it more frustrating cos people will always wonder whether you got where you where because of who you know. Don't worry... they'll get over it as long as you've got what it takes.

13. OP
    OP
    Surferboy

Surferboy basileus
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Thanks. Yea, atleast that will be motivation to be top of my class or anything I do. And I doubt that my relations will help at all for getting in to med school. It will just be nice being able to pick up the phone and call grandpa whenever I'm having trouble with physiology or anesthesia related things. It wouldn't be satisfying if I didn't do it on my own.