You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Hello from a pre-med anesthesiologist wannabe
Started by Surferboy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself to all you that have specialized in anesthesiology. I'm just a sophomore in undergrad, but I'm already getting my hands in to some interesting anesthesia experience. I've always been interested in the field considering my elders have focused their lives on it. My greatgrandfather started the first anesthesia department at UCSF and became dean of the med school later. My grandfather (Cullen) is one of the editors for Clinical Anesthesia. So I was pretty much surrounded by greatness growing up, and the grandfather was kind enough to bring me in to the OR to shadow him at UW in high school. That day pretty much started my quest to follow their footsteps. In high school I tested the antibacterial effects of local anesthetics (mepivacaine, lidocaine, and bupivacaine) in dosage and blood level concentrations. Got a huge award so that gave me another push towards finding bigger opportunities. I'm now at UCLA and am working with the department of anesthesia. I'm involved in a few research projects that deal with TEE use in liver transplants and a new ScvO2 catheter in CPB cases. Being in the OR and having to know TEE and other procedures at a level of physicians is an awesome experience and opportunity. I look up to all that have entered this field and I hope you can answer some questions of mine in the future.
Congrats, you are already done with half of your personal statement. Gold star for you.
Congrats on a good career choice.
Your early interest and experience will make for an excellent personal statement, not that you'll need it with all of your connections! I got many compliments for my ps that told of my aspirations to become an anesthesiologist since I was in the 7th grade.
Just some advice: when you go to medical school, keep an open mind about your specialties. You don't want to compromise your education by being narrow-sighted, plus you may find yourself falling in love with another specialty! Luckily for me, Anesthesiology is my destiny AND the best field for me.
btw, my very first lecture of medical school was about the epidemiology of safety, but focused almost entirely on anesthesiology. Coincidence?
Good luck with your career...
Your early interest and experience will make for an excellent personal statement, not that you'll need it with all of your connections! I got many compliments for my ps that told of my aspirations to become an anesthesiologist since I was in the 7th grade.
Just some advice: when you go to medical school, keep an open mind about your specialties. You don't want to compromise your education by being narrow-sighted, plus you may find yourself falling in love with another specialty! Luckily for me, Anesthesiology is my destiny AND the best field for me.
btw, my very first lecture of medical school was about the epidemiology of safety, but focused almost entirely on anesthesiology. Coincidence?
Good luck with your career...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My greatgrandfather started the first anesthesia department at UCSF and became dean of the med school later. My grandfather (Cullen) is one of the editors for Clinical Anesthesia. So I was pretty much surrounded by greatness growing up, and the grandfather was kind enough to bring me in to the OR to shadow him at UW in high school.... I'm now at UCLA and am working with the department of anesthesia. I'm involved in a few research projects that deal with TEE use in liver transplants and a new ScvO2 catheter in CPB cases. Being in the OR and having to know TEE and other procedures at a level of physicians is an awesome experience and opportunity.
You're a douche.
Listen, you've had 7 posts now bragging about your family, UCLA, UCSF, etc... Honest advice would be to give it a rest. Post away with questions, comments, and opinions... but you don't need to mention all of your "accomplishments" in every post.
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself to all you that have specialized in anesthesiology. I'm just a sophomore in undergrad, but I'm already getting my hands in to some interesting anesthesia experience. I've always been interested in the field considering my elders have focused their lives on it. My greatgrandfather started the first anesthesia department at UCSF and became dean of the med school later. My grandfather (Cullen) is one of the editors for Clinical Anesthesia. So I was pretty much surrounded by greatness growing up, and the grandfather was kind enough to bring me in to the OR to shadow him at UW in high school. That day pretty much started my quest to follow their footsteps. In high school I tested the antibacterial effects of local anesthetics (mepivacaine, lidocaine, and bupivacaine) in dosage and blood level concentrations. Got a huge award so that gave me another push towards finding bigger opportunities. I'm now at UCLA and am working with the department of anesthesia. I'm involved in a few research projects that deal with TEE use in liver transplants and a new ScvO2 catheter in CPB cases. Being in the OR and having to know TEE and other procedures at a level of physicians is an awesome experience and opportunity. I look up to all that have entered this field and I hope you can answer some questions of mine in the future.
I don't know why exactly, but that just strikes me as SO funny. Sounds like Napolean Dynamite!
Surferboy - you come off as a pompous spoiled little rich boy who will use his connections to get him into med school and beyond. It is great that you have such a love for anesthesia however you really need to know when to keep your mouth shut (and Im sure you will learn all this as you grow up).
Its wonderful that you have connections in the anesthesia world but, dont go spewing them all over the place. ESPECIALLY when you get into med school. We all know the person who is well connected and uses those connections out in the open to get what they want. Im sure its hard not to tell everyone who you know but, behind your back everyone is going to be laughing and talking about how the only reason you got where you are is because your name/connections. Furthermore, if you really suck and are either incompetent or stupid then it will only be more apparent. SO, study hard, work hard and keep some things to yourself.
Its wonderful that you have connections in the anesthesia world but, dont go spewing them all over the place. ESPECIALLY when you get into med school. We all know the person who is well connected and uses those connections out in the open to get what they want. Im sure its hard not to tell everyone who you know but, behind your back everyone is going to be laughing and talking about how the only reason you got where you are is because your name/connections. Furthermore, if you really suck and are either incompetent or stupid then it will only be more apparent. SO, study hard, work hard and keep some things to yourself.
Listen, you've had 7 posts now bragging about your family, UCLA, UCSF, etc... Honest advice would be to give it a rest. Post away with questions, comments, and opinions... but you don't need to mention all of your "accomplishments" in every post.
Come on, he only did that in 5/7 posts.😛
Better break out the ether and the chloroform then! heheheheeh! 😛
Good luck and sometimes you'll find it more frustrating cos people will always wonder whether you got where you where because of who you know. Don't worry... they'll get over it as long as you've got what it takes.
Good luck and sometimes you'll find it more frustrating cos people will always wonder whether you got where you where because of who you know. Don't worry... they'll get over it as long as you've got what it takes.
Thanks. Yea, atleast that will be motivation to be top of my class or anything I do. And I doubt that my relations will help at all for getting in to med school. It will just be nice being able to pick up the phone and call grandpa whenever I'm having trouble with physiology or anesthesia related things. It wouldn't be satisfying if I didn't do it on my own.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 693