Hello guys..Im interested in Applying to Optometry School!

Started by xiggy99
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xiggy99

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good day to you all. I am a Colleg student and currently attending a SUNY University in Upstate New York. I have been interested in going to Optometry school, but my grades are a little sub par. My gpa as a Senior is a 2.5 and will likely spend an extra year in College. I am also a Biology BS major.

Gen Bio-C+
Gen Bio2- B-
Gen Chem- B-
Gen Chem2-C+
English1 and 2- A- and B+
Phsycology- C+😡

I took Org Chem last fall and got a C- so I will need to take it again.🙁
I have also taken some upper level Biology classes like Evolution, Ecology, Animal Physiology, Seminar and have gotten an A and Bs in the rest. I guess because I took them in my later years and knew how to study sciences classes better. I took most of my intr o sciences in my freshman year.(bad idea)

During my first semester Sophmore year, I took some gen ed classes in a Community college and got a 3.7 but that doesnt count for my overall University gpa I guess.

I am planning on taking Physics 1 and 2 in the summer also. Since I did crappy in my freshmen year, it becomes harder to bring my overall GPA to a 3.0, but it has been increasing over the years. So I would like to hear some advice. Thank you.
 
If you can get your GPA up above a 2.8 you may have a chance as long as you have solid OAT scores. I did bad in a lot of my intro sciences but was able to pull my gpa up with some solid A's in a few sciences as well as my past year getting no C's (im at a 2.94 now). I'm not sure how your school works but I was able to retake a bio course form freshman year this past summer (prior to senior year) and replaced a C with an A (even though it still shows, the A goes into my GPA). So all hope is not lost but you will have to work hard to bring up that gpa.
 
hmm, thanks for the response. I go to SUNY Binghamton and I dont think that the new grade goes into the GPA, unfortunately. I remember getting a D in pre calc, then I took it again to get a B. Even though both showed on the transcript, my higher grade did not increase or affect my GPA at all.😡

And some websites and discussion, Ive seen people say that Optometry schools accept anything above a C and higher, but how would that be possible if the schools want GPAs of 3.0 and higher. Getting Cs dont equal to having a 3.0 high GPA.😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And some websites and discussion, Ive seen people say that Optometry schools accept anything above a C and higher, but how would that be possible if the schools want GPAs of 3.0 and higher. Getting Cs dont equal to having a 3.0 high GPA.😕

Because if you get too many C's then you won't have a 3.0. I got C's in college and graduated with >3.0... they allow you to get one or two but if you have too many on your transcript you might be in trouble.