Hello guys..Im interested in Applying to Optometry School!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiggy99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good day to you all. I am a Colleg student and currently attending a SUNY University in Upstate New York. I have been interested in going to Optometry school, but my grades are a little sub par. My gpa as a Senior is a 2.5 and will likely spend an extra year in College. I am also a Biology BS major.

Gen Bio-C+
Gen Bio2- B-
Gen Chem- B-
Gen Chem2-C+
English1 and 2- A- and B+
Phsycology- C+:mad:

I took Org Chem last fall and got a C- so I will need to take it again.:(
I have also taken some upper level Biology classes like Evolution, Ecology, Animal Physiology, Seminar and have gotten an A and Bs in the rest. I guess because I took them in my later years and knew how to study sciences classes better. I took most of my intr o sciences in my freshman year.(bad idea)

During my first semester Sophmore year, I took some gen ed classes in a Community college and got a 3.7 but that doesnt count for my overall University gpa I guess.

I am planning on taking Physics 1 and 2 in the summer also. Since I did crappy in my freshmen year, it becomes harder to bring my overall GPA to a 3.0, but it has been increasing over the years. So I would like to hear some advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get your GPA up above a 2.8 you may have a chance as long as you have solid OAT scores. I did bad in a lot of my intro sciences but was able to pull my gpa up with some solid A's in a few sciences as well as my past year getting no C's (im at a 2.94 now). I'm not sure how your school works but I was able to retake a bio course form freshman year this past summer (prior to senior year) and replaced a C with an A (even though it still shows, the A goes into my GPA). So all hope is not lost but you will have to work hard to bring up that gpa.

hmm, thanks for the response. I go to SUNY Binghamton and I dont think that the new grade goes into the GPA, unfortunately. I remember getting a D in pre calc, then I took it again to get a B. Even though both showed on the transcript, my higher grade did not increase or affect my GPA at all.:mad:

And some websites and discussion, Ive seen people say that Optometry schools accept anything above a C and higher, but how would that be possible if the schools want GPAs of 3.0 and higher. Getting Cs dont equal to having a 3.0 high GPA.:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
And some websites and discussion, Ive seen people say that Optometry schools accept anything above a C and higher, but how would that be possible if the schools want GPAs of 3.0 and higher. Getting Cs dont equal to having a 3.0 high GPA.:confused:

Because if you get too many C's then you won't have a 3.0. I got C's in college and graduated with >3.0... they allow you to get one or two but if you have too many on your transcript you might be in trouble.