Hello SDN Pre-Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhaseShift

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm new here (been browsing the forums for a few weeks, but didn't registered until today) and just wanted to say hi to all my fellow pre-pharm students and wish them luck this admissions cycle!

I am a Community College student hoping to make it into pharmacy school without spending big bucks on a bachelor's degree. Right now I have a 3.82 GPA through about 35 credit hours and not much experience in the area of volunteering. However, recently I have been given the opportunity to tutor students at my college in math and science. This will be a paid job, and I will not take it unless the job will look good to the Adcoms (it will be a major pay cut from current job in retail).

So, here's my question:

Will tutoring students as a an employee of my college be a plus, minus, or neutral addition to my transcript? It will be a tough for me to transition to the tutoring position as I will be making a couple bucks an hour less, and I only want to take the job if it will help me get into Pharmacy School.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry, you'll be spending the big bucks on your Pharm doctorate depending on where you go.

Otherwise you're doing fine, i'd say keep building those extracurriculars and job experience.

Hey All,

Will tutoring students as a an employee of my college be a plus, minus, or neutral addition to my transcript? It will be a tough for me to transition to the tutoring position as I will be making a couple bucks an hour less, and I only want to take the job if it will help me get into Pharmacy School.

Thanks

It would certainly add to your application - but it is an intangible addition - it's difficult to quantify how much it would help. Does that outweigh the amount of money lost by taking a pay cut? Only you can decide that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,
I'm new here (been browsing the forums for a few weeks, but didn't registered until today) and just wanted to say hi to all my fellow pre-pharm students and wish them luck this admissions cycle!

I am a Community College student hoping to make it into pharmacy school without spending big bucks on a bachelor's degree. Right now I have a 3.82 GPA through about 35 credit hours and not much experience in the area of volunteering. However, recently I have been given the opportunity to tutor students at my college in math and science. This will be a paid job, and I will not take it unless the job will look good to the Adcoms (it will be a major pay cut from current job in retail).

So, here's my question:

Thanks

Wow, the only differences between me and you is that I have been accepted to pharm school, i have 62 hours, and i have taken the PCAT. We have exactly the same story, job, GPA, school (community college). I guarantee you that it will be a plus on your application if you keep tutoring. It will enable you get into pharm school. I am a living example.

Wow, the only differences between me and you is that I have been accepted to pharm school, i have 62 hours, and i have taken the PCAT. We have exactly the same story, job, GPA, school (community college). I guarantee you that it will be a plus on your application if you keep tutoring. It will enable you get into pharm school. I am a living example.

The only difference between you and I is that my 350z is daytona blue...

Yeah... I like your car

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will try and take the tutoring position, and also keep the other job going on weekends. I wasn't sure whether or not the tutoring would be beneficial to my application as it's not volunteering per se, however, I have now been relieved of my doubts.

Also, I do play both varsity baseball and football for my community college, would the leadership experience gained through these activities outweigh the potential drop in GPA (.2-.3) due to the vast amount of time spent on these sports? I've realized that I probably am not going to make a living off athletics, however, they are fun as hell and I do not want to give them up.

You can make it into pharmacy school without a bachelors degree. I did. The BEST thing you can do is get pharmacy experience. If your ECs are great, but you don't have any pharmacy experience, whether it is shadowing or actually working in a pharmacy, you probably won't be looked at twice.