Hello!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistyl

Reaction score
Hello all!! A little about me I am currently a registered nurse with a BSN studying for the MCAT! I figured it was time for a change. The MCAT is super overwhelming and stressful but it is a huge step towards my future career path. I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself and say HI. However, any tips for tackling the MCAT and scoring big would be beneficial and much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current RN here who is about to matriculate this fall. I did well on the MCAT (>90th percentile). Are you planning on working full-time while studying? I set aside 4 months to study, which changed to 5 months d/t COVID pushing my original date, and I worked full-time until the last couple weeks before the test. Working 3x12s gave me time to study, which is all I pretty much did when I wasn't working. I would also plan on having your test date happen at the right time so that you will be ready to fill out your primary application, which is a huge time sink as well.

I would only take the test after taking all pre-reqs, including biochemistry. I used the Berkeley Review for content review, as well as numerous internet resources. I finished the content review after about a month in a half and spent the rest of the time on practice questions through UWorld and Altius before transitioning to the official AAMC material closer to the test date. I kept a spreadsheet of questions I got wrong and reviewed the material to make sure I understood why I got it wrong in the first place. Take the practice tests in real conditions to get a picture of where you are at.

Message me if you have any other questions. My experience as an RN was a huge plus on my application and during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Current RN here who is about to matriculate this fall. I did well on the MCAT (>90th percentile). Are you planning on working full-time while studying? I set aside 4 months to study, which changed to 5 months d/t COVID pushing my original date, and I worked full-time until the last couple weeks before the test. Working 3x12s gave me time to study, which is all I pretty much did when I wasn't working. I would also plan on having your test date happen at the right time so that you will be ready to fill out your primary application, which is a huge time sink as well.

I would only take the test after taking all pre-reqs, including biochemistry. I used the Berkeley Review for content review, as well as numerous internet resources. I finished the content review after about a month in a half and spent the rest of the time on practice questions through UWorld and Altius before transitioning to the official AAMC material closer to the test date. I kept a spreadsheet of questions I got wrong and reviewed the material to make sure I understood why I got it wrong in the first place. Take the practice tests in real conditions to get a picture of where you are at.

Message me if you have any other questions. My experience as an RN was a huge plus on my application and during interviews.
Hi! Thank you so much for your feedback. I am currently working 3 12s which has been super helpful. My test date is scheduled at the end of June. I am currently using Kaplan, Khan Academy, and some free online resources. There is so much information piled in front of me that I get that overwhelmed feeling as soon as I sit down to study.