Hello!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirius_GTO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I'm a noobie to this forum and I would like to say HI!

I've several questions in regards to the field of Optometry. I find it very interesting and I'm leaning towards it as a profession in the future. I am very ignorant on what it takes to become an Optometrist so I gathered a few questions that I hope you would be able to help me out with.

1. How many years does it take to become an Optometrist?
2. Is there a GPA requirement to get into Optometry School? Or do they look at the grades of your core classes?
3. Does it reflect negatively if you've started your freshmen year badly? Or do they also look at improvements?
4. Am I correct to assume that you have to have a 4 year degree before you take the OAT?
5. Is there a practice test online?
6. Is it relatively easy to start your own practice or find work right after?
7. Is the job stressful? What is the primary reason YOU chose to be an Optometrist?
8. Is an Optometrist a doctor? You don't get your MD or PhD right? You get an OD?

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer these questions.
BTW, I just turned 19 and I'm a Sophomore (with Freshmen credits...sigh...) so I would appreciate any helpful inputs on what I should do to help me reach my goal of Optometry School.

Members don't see this ad.

1. 4 years
2. ~2.5 (for most schools). They look at overall, science, and pre-req.
3. Improving always looks good, so no it doesn't reflect too negatively
4. No degree needed, just take it when you know the subjects well, or after you take your general science classes.
5. https://www.ada.org/oat/index.html for a practice test, and OAT info.
6. Depends on location
7. Shadow, shadow, shadow....then ask yourself that same question.
8. OD= doctor. What do you call your optometrist when you address him/her?

For all other questions try: www.opted.org.

1. How many years does it take to become an Optometrist?
2. Is there a GPA requirement to get into Optometry School? Or do they look at the grades of your core classes?
3. Does it reflect negatively if you've started your freshmen year badly? Or do they also look at improvements?
4. Am I correct to assume that you have to have a 4 year degree before you take the OAT?
5. Is there a practice test online?
6. Is it relatively easy to start your own practice or find work right after?
7. Is the job stressful? What is the primary reason YOU chose to be an Optometrist?
8. Is an Optometrist a doctor? You don't get your MD or PhD right? You get an OD?

1. 8 total years of education... 4 years in optometry school + 4 years undergrad. It is possible at some schools to get in before you have a bachelor's degree, but you generally have to complete at least 90 credits before you can apply.
2. albui is right... generally no one below a 2.5 would ever get in... but that doesn't mean that you golden with anything below a 3.0. Check out the link albui provided (opted.org) for the averages of any schools you might be interested in, so you have an idea of what would make YOU an competitive applicant.
3. Show a strong trend of improvement over time, and hopefully that will overshadow a weak freshman year.
4. No... but you should have the majority of the prereqs done considering that is what you are tested over. (General Bio, Chem, O.Chem. and Physics)
5. check out albui's link
6. Opening a practice and finding work isn't easy... but isn't impossible. Location, personal motivation, and a little luck will play a role in how successful you are.
7. You are a professional responsible for the visual health of your patients. There will be some stress involved. If you open a practice, you have the stress of taking care of patients while effectively managing your employees and making your business grow. The stress is there, but of course no where near other professions (ie. CEO of major company, ER doc during a busy Friday night, etc.) I leaned towards optometry for a variety of reasons, not limited to: running my own business, interest in binocular vision, peds, and vision therapy, normal hours, still possible to have a somewhat normal family life.
8. An optometrist is a doctor in the sense that they have a doctoral degree in the field of optometry. Like MDs and PhDs, they have received the highest degree possible in their profession. Are they doctors like MDs are doctors? No.

Good luck...
PGE:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the kind and informative responses!

I have another question...

What are the top 10 most popular school and where are they located in their states?

THANK YOU once again

Thank you guys for the kind and informative responses!

I have another question...

What are the top 10 most popular school and where are they located in their states?

THANK YOU once again

first great job to the other posters in answering the first set of questions - you guys are awesome.

now to answer this question. there is NO ranking of optometry programs and there are only 17 schools so a top ten would be very arbitary and based only on what students have "heard". check out opted.org and you can see where the schools are located and visit a few. are some programs better than others? who really knows. wouldn't you have to go to 2 schools to do a fair comparision? some schools prepare you better for your competence exams, but as some posters have pointed out, studying your butt off will be the big factor in passing your boards. the best thing to do is check out a few schools websites and take an in person look.

good luck to you, make sure to check out alfrec's website it's really good and opted.org:luck:

now to answer this question. there is NO ranking of optometry programs and there are only 17 schools so a top ten would be very arbitary and based only on what students have "heard". check out opted.org and you can see where the schools are located and visit a few. are some programs better than others? who really knows. wouldn't you have to go to 2 schools to do a fair comparision? some schools prepare you better for your competence exams, but as some posters have pointed out, studying your butt off will be the big factor in passing your boards. [SNIP!]

Ahh.. this thread reminds me...what about the Gourman Report? I just quickly googled and found some books on amazon, but none dated after 1997. Is that report still done? :confused: