help, a ? about defering, what do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamwolverine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my situation, I received deferred acceptance to Tufts last year, to start in 2005. I really like the school, my deposits are in and they're expecting me. But this last summer I began at a new job and recently I've been promoted and I'm really enjoying working with this company and think that I could gain a lot from this experience, in ways that may not even necessarily apply to dentistry. I've been thinking about it and while I still know that dentistry is what I want to do, I'm also interested in continuing my work on projects with this company, and I feel that if I go to school now I may be cutting that short, so I'm considering defering another year. But a part of me is also not so sure . . . I've had two years off since graduating college and while I've been working the whole time, it wasn't until recently that I got this other job opportunity. In some ways I feel a little restless and want to get back into school, but I also have this overwhelming feeling that I could do a lot with this company if I stay on with them a little longer.
From what I understand, if I do defer I need to write a letter to the admissions committee explaining why I am requesting to be defered. Has anybody ever had any experience with this? What may they take into consideration when making their decisions? Since I've already been deferred a year, do you think that will make any difference?
Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

iamwolverine said:
Ok so here's my situation, I received deferred acceptance to Tufts last year, to start in 2005. I really like the school, my deposits are in and they're expecting me. But this last summer I began at a new job and recently I've been promoted and I'm really enjoying working with this company and think that I could gain a lot from this experience, in ways that may not even necessarily apply to dentistry. I've been thinking about it and while I still know that dentistry is what I want to do, I'm also interested in continuing my work on projects with this company, and I feel that if I go to school now I may be cutting that short, so I'm considering defering another year. But a part of me is also not so sure . . . I've had two years off since graduating college and while I've been working the whole time, it wasn't until recently that I got this other job opportunity. In some ways I feel a little restless and want to get back into school, but I also have this overwhelming feeling that I could do a lot with this company if I stay on with them a little longer.
From what I understand, if I do defer I need to write a letter to the admissions committee explaining why I am requesting to be defered. Has anybody ever had any experience with this? What may they take into consideration when making their decisions? Since I've already been deferred a year, do you think that will make any difference?
Thanks for the help.

Just dont go to dental school and let someone who really wants it have the spot. Youll prob quit anyway and a deserving person will lose the seat.

That you feel this way and are asking this question should tell you what you are really wanting to know... you obviously lack the desire and commitment to follow thru. This is not a personal attack, I'm sure that this other opportunity is interesting, but if you are that easily drawn to something else, you are just holding a spot that someone else wants more. Do the right thing for you, but make a decision and follow thru.

Members don't see this ad :)
dentaldaddy said:
Just dont go to dental school and let someone who really wants it have the spot. Youll prob quit anyway and a deserving person will lose the seat.

I really don't appreciate that. I didn't go into detail in my first post, but I do really look forward to dental school, and I know that I want to become a dentist. This is a decision which I am really torn about. On the one hand I do want to start dental school, but it is because I have not started yet that I am torn. If I were already in dental school I wouldn't consider leaving it for a job opportunity. However, I began working with an internet company just last august, and not long after starting with the company I was promoted to a much higher position and now am heading up my own projects and possibly giving new direction to the company. I have been given a lot of responsibilities and if I leave the company this summer there is a part of me that feels like I'll be ditching them, that I've left before I've really had a chance to see things through. I'll have felt like I left a job unfinished. If I leave this summer I won't have even been with the company for a year. On the other hand, if I consider deferring then I could stay on with the company for an extra year, actually accomplish something that I could be proud of, gain some valuable business experience which may or may not eventually help me in my future endeavors, and move on to dentistry. Yes I have lots of interests, yes I like getting involved with projects and taking on new responsibilities, it's all a part of life. Do I only love dentistry? No, but I do love it, and I do know that it is what I want to do. Do I have to do it right this minute? I am 23 . . . will it matter if I am 24 when I begin dental school? Will it have an impact on my wanting to raise a family later on? I take a lot of things into consideration, please don't judge or criticize without knowing me. I am honestly and genuinely asking for advice. If you want to offer criticism then that is fine too, but please make it constructive. thank you, hope that clarifies things a little.

rmpagnt said:
That you feel this way and are asking this question should tell you what you are really wanting to know... you obviously lack the desire and commitment to follow thru. This is not a personal attack, I'm sure that this other opportunity is interesting, but if you are that easily drawn to something else, you are just holding a spot that someone else wants more. Do the right thing for you, but make a decision and follow thru.

Perhaps your responses are actually answering my question. If I plan on writing anything to these committees then I need to make it completely evident how much I do wish to pursue dentistry.

iamwolverine said:
Perhaps your responses are actually answering my question. If I plan on writing anything to these committees then I need to make it completely evident how much I do wish to pursue dentistry.

Again, this is not an attack rather an observation. You say you want dentistry, but how do you sell that to the school?
" I want to keep you on the back burner another year, i'll be there when I get there?"
I can tell you feel strongly about this other thing, but they are a business and given a choice between the bottom line and you, they would not choose you. Yes you are young, but the longer you are away the harder it is to go back to the books.

rmpagnt said:
Again, this is not an attack rather an observation. You say you want dentistry, but how do you sell that to the school?
" I want to keep you on the back burner another year, i'll be there when I get there?"
I can tell you feel strongly about this other thing, but they are a business and given a choice between the bottom line and you, they would not choose you. Yes you are young, but the longer you are away the harder it is to go back to the books.

what are you talking about "between the bottom line and you" ??
I'm not trying to say I'm essential to this business, but I do have some desire to be a part of it. I know that I don't want it to be my life, but computers, the internet are part of my hobbies, something which I'll probably always come back to from time to time, but right now I see an opportunity to accomplish something in the next year with this company. I majored in neuroscience, but when I was in college I worked in 5 different research labs, sometimes juggling two labs at a time, working at all of them for at least two years each. One was in geriatrics, another in psychology, one in neuroscience, one in water quality and water treatment, and one in oral radiology, and I've had work published in several of the labs, including first author in the water quality and treatment lab, an area completely removed from the field of dentistry, yet I stuck with a project in order to accomplish something. When I graduated college I did exactly what I knew I wanted to do when I graduated high school, I applied to dental schools. But right now I also see an opportunity to finish another project if I have another year, should I take it or will it look very bad, jeapordize my chances somehow with the school I've already been accepted to and hurt me more than any possibility of help?

As for the argument that somehow at 24 I'll be too old to study again is just ridiculous . . . I'll still be well below the average age of most entering class sizes. Someone please offer some more legitimate advice or insight.

iamwolverine said:
what are you talking about "between the bottom line and you" ??
I'm not trying to say I'm essential to this business, but I do have some desire to be a part of it. I know that I don't want it to be my life, but computers, the internet are part of my hobbies, something which I'll probably always come back to from time to time, but right now I see an opportunity to accomplish something in the next year with this company. I majored in neuroscience, but when I was in college I worked in 5 different research labs, sometimes juggling two labs at a time, working at all of them for at least two years each. One was in geriatrics, another in psychology, one in neuroscience, one in water quality and water treatment, and one in oral radiology, and I've had work published in several of the labs, including first author in the water quality and treatment lab, an area completely removed from the field of dentistry, yet I stuck with a project in order to accomplish something. When I graduated college I did exactly what I knew I wanted to do when I graduated high school, I applied to dental schools.

How does all of this persuade the school? you ask, you get. the school is not desperate to have you, they get more applicants ready to go now than they can accomodate. One year they do, but two? Let us know how it works out.

iamwolverine said:

In my honest opinion, I think you will regret it if you delay your schooling. If you know 100% that you want to become a dentist, then any job will not delay your ambition for dentistry. I graduated with a business degree and had the opportunity to work for my "dream" job at the time with a highly recognized consulting firm. But, I decided not to because I knew 100% that I wanted to become a dentist and the sooner I became one, the better off I would be. Although, at the time, I had similar feelings as you do right now. I was torn for a moment, so I know kind of how you feel. But, again, I knocked some sense into me and realized that I need to be in school to pursue my dream of being a dentist. I would question....If you do delay this year, I would only think you would delay again, and then again, then finally decide not to go to dental school, only to regret it 5 years later when the economy might be really bad and then get laid off. I'd hate for that to happen, but its reality. That's one of the major reasons why I switched to wanting to become a dentist. The stability of the profession. Just my 2 cents. :D

Generallee said:
In my honest opinion, I think you will regret it if you delay your schooling. If you know 100% that you want to become a dentist, then any job will not delay your ambition for dentistry. I graduated with a business degree and had the opportunity to work for my "dream" job at the time with a highly recognized consulting firm. But, I decided not to because I knew 100% that I wanted to become a dentist and the sooner I became one, the better off I would be. Although, at the time, I had similar feelings as you do right now. I was torn for a moment, so I know kind of how you feel. But, again, I knocked some sense into me and realized that I need to be in school to pursue my dream of being a dentist. I would question....If you do delay this year, I would only think you would delay again, and then again, then finally decide not to go to dental school, only to regret it 5 years later when the economy might be really bad and then get laid off. I'd hate for that to happen, but its reality. That's one of the major reasons why I switched to wanting to become a dentist. The stability of the profession. Just my 2 cents. :D
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Generallee said:

I totally agree with you, I know that this job I'm at right now isn't what I would want to be doing for years, let alone years from now. But imagine I had started a Masters degree program and I needed another year to complete my work and get my degree . . . should I defer a year and finish what I'm doing, come out with a MS degree which may or may not help me in some way, and then go to dental school as I intended all along, or should I leave the degree half completed? That's really where I'm at . . . this is not something which I am considering as an alternative career, but rather a stepping stone along my path, and something that I can pass over gracefully or trip over and start on my path to becoming a dentist a little earlier. It is precisely my committment to complete what I start which brings me to this dilemma, however I am not disillusioned or unaware of how long it will take me to finish what I want to accomplish.

iamwolverine said:
I totally agree with you, I know that this job I'm at right now isn't what I would want to be doing for years, let alone years from now. But imagine I had started a Masters degree program and I needed another year to complete my work and get my degree . . . should I defer a year and finish what I'm doing, come out with a MS degree which may or may not help me in some way, and then go to dental school as I intended all along, or should I leave the degree half completed? That's really where I'm at . . . this is not something which I am considering as an alternative career, but rather a stepping stone along my path, and something that I can pass over gracefully or trip over and start on my path to becoming a dentist a little earlier. It is precisely my committment to complete what I start which brings me to this dilemma, however I am not disillusioned or unaware of how long it will take me to finish what I want to accomplish.

:love: :thumbup:

iamwolverine said:
I really don't appreciate that. I didn't go into detail in my first post, but I do really look forward to dental school, and I know that I want to become a dentist. This is a decision which I am really torn about. On the one hand I do want to start dental school, but it is because I have not started yet that I am torn. If I were already in dental school I wouldn't consider leaving it for a job opportunity. However, I began working with an internet company just last august, and not long after starting with the company I was promoted to a much higher position and now am heading up my own projects and possibly giving new direction to the company. I have been given a lot of responsibilities and if I leave the company this summer there is a part of me that feels like I'll be ditching them, that I've left before I've really had a chance to see things through. I'll have felt like I left a job unfinished. If I leave this summer I won't have even been with the company for a year. On the other hand, if I consider deferring then I could stay on with the company for an extra year, actually accomplish something that I could be proud of, gain some valuable business experience which may or may not eventually help me in my future endeavors, and move on to dentistry. Yes I have lots of interests, yes I like getting involved with projects and taking on new responsibilities, it's all a part of life. Do I only love dentistry? No, but I do love it, and I do know that it is what I want to do. Do I have to do it right this minute? I am 23 . . . will it matter if I am 24 when I begin dental school? Will it have an impact on my wanting to raise a family later on? I take a lot of things into consideration, please don't judge or criticize without knowing me. I am honestly and genuinely asking for advice. If you want to offer criticism then that is fine too, but please make it constructive. thank you, hope that clarifies things a little.

You seem like you had it all figured out... why waste your time and ask questions that you already had know the answer for your situation. I am sure that your case is fairly unique because these days not that many people choose an internet or whatever job instead of a ticket to dental school.
Personally, i am already accepted so none of my business, but a lots of people in this forum(especially pre-dental)are still shiitting on the pants to get accepted anywhere.
You sound like a very smart guy that measured every little angle about your future from a couple years ago. Good for you, i am sure you will some day be a good dentist or a good business man.

aceking said:
You seem like you had it all figured out... why waste your time and ask questions that you already had know the answer for your situation. I am sure that your case is fairly unique because these days not that many people choose an internet or whatever job instead of a ticket to dental school.
Personally, i am already accepted so none of my business, but a lots of people in this forum(especially pre-dental)are still shiitting on the pants to get accepted anywhere.
You sound like a very smart guy that measured every little angle about your future from a couple years ago. Good for you, i am sure you will some day be a good dentist or a good business man.

I guess let me ask my question in another way, by writing a letter requesting to defer another year do I lose my spot if I am denied? If it came down to the choice between going to dental school or the job, I would go to dental school, but if I am given the opportunity to defer another year then I would like to finish what I started.

Why the hell would you take on so much responsibility and projects when you knew for a whole year that in August of 2005, you would be at Boston??? And why would your company promote you if they knew you were gonna leave to go for dental school in August?? You must have told them way in advance, right?

iamwolverine said:

For me, even if I left my masters degree half completed, it would be irrelevant to my long term goal. Unless this job has 100% relation to what you will be doing as a dentist in the future, I wouldn't stay. Esspecially if you know that this is something you do not see yourself doing in the future. I guess I'm in a different situation. I feel like I can't wait to get into dental school and get my career started. Right now, nothing will stop me. I already have regrets that I didn't start this pathway to dentistry earlier in my life. Like I said before, I was once tempted to take a consulting job offer paying very well out of college. What if, I did well in the position and moved up the ladder like you? Would I still be pursuing dentistry? Probably not. IMO, if you wait, your desires might change and you might want to just stay in your position, which is not wrong, but, your not a dentist; which you might regret later. What if, at this time next year you get promoted again? Would you stay or would you leave? Your decision will be twice as hard and probably lean towards taking the promotion and ditching D-school altogether. Without a doubt, I would enroll at Tufts this year. :)

iamwolverine said:
...However, I began working with an internet company just last august, and not long after starting with the company I was promoted to a much higher position and now am heading up my own projects and possibly giving new direction to the company. I have been given a lot of responsibilities and if I leave the company this summer there is a part of me that feels like I'll be ditching them...

"Don't jump over dollars to save pennies" is a saying that my father likes to use and one that has helped place things into perspective for me more than once. If I understand you, iamwolverine, correctly you are experiencing some responsibility and respect associated with the 'real' world, of being a part of a team creating real products, and having your accomplishments and talents valued and appreciated. Those are great feelings and rewards and they can be very compelling reasons to stay in a particular place. I know first hand what it's like to be in such a situation and having to face a decision to move onwards or continue to stay. You state that you are being given a chance to influence the direction of the company and this is appealing to you. You also state that you are considering delaying your matriculation into dental school by another year (which I don't know if the school would be willing to do a second time - but I digress). My question is during that year will those feelings and reasons for staying at your company diminish or change so that you won't have any significant issues leaving and going to dental school? Or will they simply intensify with your growing responsibility at the company? What I encourage you to do is to examine your intentions for choosing dentistry. What are the reasons that drew you to the profession? What did you want to get out of it professionally? And in a larger sense, what are some of your long-term goals? How much security and stability to you require? It's great to feel a part of a team, to see your insights and recommendations produce real results, and to gain recognition. But these things are not specific to one type of job or situation: they can be had elsewhere - especially in your private practice. If these are the only reasons why you want to stay where you are then I hate to see you hastily stymie your carefully prepared efforts based on a quick moment. Utlimately these are questions that only you can answer and a decision that only you can make - I just hate to see you jump over something you'll later want in order to grab something that turns out to not be as significant with time.

You should have some quiet time thinking about what is more important to you: the job or dentistry. As you find out what is more important, drop the other one as soon as possible and pursue your choice. The further you delay, the harder it will get, and the more you will have to sacrifice/lose when you actually make the switch.

On the other hand, here is something to think about: There was this dog standing on a bridge with a bone in his mouth. He looked down the river and saw "another dog" with a bone in his mouth. He thought "that bone" was better than his, so he dropped his bone and jumped down the river...

Sprgrover said:
"Don't jump over dollars to save pennies" is a saying that my father likes to use and one that has helped place things into perspective for me more than once. If I understand you, iamwolverine, correctly you are experiencing some responsibility and respect associated with the 'real' world, of being a part of a team creating real products, and having your accomplishments and talents valued and appreciated. Those are great feelings and rewards and they can be very compelling reasons to stay in a particular place. I know first hand what it's like to be in such a situation and having to face a decision to move onwards or continue to stay. You state that you are being given a chance to influence the direction of the company and this is appealing to you. You also state that you are considering delaying your matriculation into dental school by another year (which I don't know if the school would be willing to do a second time - but I digress). My question is during that year will those feelings and reasons for staying at your company diminish or change so that you won't have any significant issues leaving and going to dental school? Or will they simply intensify with your growing responsibility at the company? What I encourage you to do is to examine your intentions for choosing dentistry. What are the reasons that drew you to the profession? What did you want to get out of it professionally? And in a larger sense, what are some of your long-term goals? How much security and stability to you require? It's great to feel a part of a team, to see your insights and recommendations produce real results, and to gain recognition. But these things are not specific to one type of job or situation: they can be had elsewhere - especially in your private practice. If these are the only reasons why you want to stay where you are then I hate to see you hastily stymie your carefully prepared efforts based on a quick moment. Utlimately these are questions that only you can answer and a decision that only you can make - I just hate to see you jump over something you'll later want in order to grab something that turns out to not be as significant with time.

Argh! Thank you for putting it that way. I actually do agree with all of you, dentistry is not something I want to pass up, and even if I were to stay with this company it would not be with the hopes or desire of it replacing dentistry, that is something I already know and don't need to consider any further. Given the decision between the two I choose dentistry hands down and without hesitation. Maybe I am being completely crazy by considering this at all . . . and you make it sound near impossible to genuinely convince anyone that someone would be willing to wait another year before starting dental school.

We have a winner!!!! :D :idea:

You have good intentions to, as you said, "finish the projects you started" by deferring a year. But what happens if in a year, when it is time to go to dental school and the projects are not finished? What if they have grown into larger tasks and projects that you are responsible for? Could you leave then?

I realize you want this opportunity and feel a loyalty to this company. If you want to feel you are not "ditching them" as you said, then fully document the work you did. That way any future employee can read this documentation and learn your project to pick up where you left off.

This is just me, but I am a non-traditional student and have been working towards applying to dental school for eight years now. I want it so bad I can taste it. Do you? In the end it is your decision. Enough previous posters have given you some good things to think about to make the right decision for you.