Help a confused med student. lol.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgE

Histamine is my homeboy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year student at KCOM, but I'm thinking of withdrawing for the rest of the year or maybe forever. Do you guys think I could get into a Caribbean school after dropping out of DO school? My undergrad gpa is 3.2 and MCAT is 30P (11B, 9P, 10V). And is it possible to get into a surgery residency after attending a carribean school?
As to why I'm thinking about leaving KCOM, I am not doing very well right now. I had really good grades (85 plus gpa) first quarter, but winter quarter is kicking my butt (as in I'm in the 65 range in 3/6 classes). The sub zero temperatures and an unfortunate gas leak in my apartment complex have had extremely detrimental effects on my health. I'm a southern girl, so I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold. And there is no gas in the south really, so who knew I should have had a carbon monoxide detector? Also, the whole osteopathy thing is not really sitting well with me right now. And I know I'm not meant to do family practice. I'm more of a surgery or other specialty type person.
Is quitting DO school and going to Caribbean MD school a really stupid plan?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year student at KCOM, but I'm thinking of withdrawing for the rest of the year or maybe forever. Do you guys think I could get into a Caribbean school after dropping out of DO school? My undergrad gpa is 3.2 and MCAT is 30P (11B, 9P, 10V). And is it possible to get into a surgery residency after attending a carribean school?
As to why I'm thinking about leaving KCOM, I am not doing very well right now. I had really good grades (85 plus gpa) first quarter, but winter quarter is kicking my butt (as in I'm in the 65 range in 3/6 classes). The sub zero temperatures and an unfortunate gas leak in my apartment complex have had extremely detrimental effects on my health. I'm a southern girl, so I guess I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold. And there is no gas in the south really, so who knew I should have had a carbon monoxide detector? Also, the whole osteopathy thing is not really sitting well with me right now. And I know I'm not meant to do family practice. I'm more of a surgery or other specialty type person.
Is quitting DO school and going to Caribbean MD school a really stupid plan?
Thanks.

Sounds really tough, I am sorry...I can't see why you would not be able to go to the carribbean with your original stats but having already started school in the US I dont know how a transfer would work. I am not sure how the residency process would view this as well, especially if you want surgery because it is highly competitive...can you not transfer to another DO school? or even maybe an MD school? It's rare but it has happened before. What makes you think that you will end up in family practice? Residency depends a lot more on the boards, clinical grades, and letters of rec...pre-clinical grades are a lot lower on the priority list. If you do end up going to the Carribbean you might have to repeat all of your first year again. Good luck:thumbup:

First year is tough and compounding it with a new environment and health difficulties and I can see how you would want to transfer out. The good thing is that after this year, you'll be a pro with the weather and gas issues. And first year is well more than half way over.

Also realize the same things can occur in a Caribbean med school. Not the cold but certainly things associated with a tropical environment in perhaps a third world country. Combine that with the possible bouts of diarrhea and mosquito bites and I think KCOM would look pretty good. Grass is always greener on the other side. I would encourage you to stick it out at KCOM. What's the worst that can happen? Repeat block(s)? Repeat the year? Transferring to a Caribbean school could leave a red flag on your application when you apply for surgery residencies. OMM is temporary. Once you get into clerkships or residency, you can kiss it goodbye if you're not inclined to it. Yes, it's very possible to get into a surgery residency from a Caribbean school but it can be tough. If anything, your ability to rotate at places that you may want to do your residency at is more limited. And if you happen to take a liking to a surgical specialty like ortho, uro, ENT, etc. you'll really be closing doors by going to a Caribbean school. Probably not impossible but so much more difficult.

I agree with the other posters, I'm a southern Guy and gotta tell you I would love the cold instead of the caribbean.

DO yeah I did not want the omm thing either but its not everything, you are lucky to get into a DO with those stats really you should be thankful.

Most of us question and have rough times during the 1st year it will pass.

Good Luck