Help a lost student please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mascue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm kinda stuck in a situation here

I took ochem 1 last semester, got an A-. Don't feel like I learned much though, because we had open-note exams so I just used my written mechanisms so I am basically incapable of solving mechanism problems without my "cheat sheet."

Taking ochem 2 right now, kinda using a similar approach. Got an 87 on my first exam but there are other grades that make up for my final grade.

So far, my sGPA is 3.96 & cGPA is 3.98... I've been hearing around that a high GPA won't really make up for a low DAT score, but I am seriously questioning if I have enough ochem competency to take the DAT this summer. I've excelled in all of my other science courses (bio 1/2, genchem 1/2, stats, calc) so far but I am seriously worried about ochem... I know next to nothing without my notes which I was allowed to use. And obviously, during the DAT, there are no notes allowed.

I really want to take the DAT this summer, but how should I approach it? I did well in other DAT-related classes, but I took these last year so I still need to refresh my knowledge on these topics (so I have to spend some time on these subjects as well). I want to aim for a high score but realistically, how would you guys approach this situation? My initial plan was to excel in ochem so I don't have to spend much time on it when I study for the DAT and focus on other areas, but now ochem is just one more thing I have to worry about...

Members don't see this ad.

That’s an extremely high GPA. That will allow for a lot of forgiveness with the DAT. A score of 18-20 will be enough to receive a decent amount of interviews. 20-21 will be competitive for most schools. Anything 22+ will make you competitive everywhere.

to give you some reassurance I did not pay attention during the ochem series and knew absolutely nothing prior to studying the DAT. However mikes videos on Bootcamp and Chads videos were tremendous resources. I was able to learn the entire ochem series (Enough for the DAT) In about 10-12 weeks. Scored a 28 in Ochem (Disappointed not 30 tbh).

so my plan would be to add an extra week or two in your DAT schedule to study for Ochem. the DAT doesn’t go that in depth so it’s not bad at all. Just watch Mikes/Chads videos until you fully understand every concept. One week might even be enough tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I have to agree with @1942, make sure you study well using all the resources available now and you should be just fine. I was kind of the opposite of y'all, I took the DAT right after finishing ochem 2, so everything was super fresh and I didn't study it much so I ended up with a 22 on that section. I def think that the ochem section is fairly doable if you just use bootcamp/chad's, I was planning on retaking it so I started studying using those, and tbh I learned more from those videos than I ever did in class.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can teach yourself ochem with the study materials.. I was out of school for almost 2 years before I took my DAT and I scored a 20 AA and 22TS.. Back in school I had achieved B's in all my chem courses and was always surprised how I even passed with the limited knowledge I gained throughout the semesters.. Honestly the DAT is a pretty basic test, especially when it comes to the science portion. Just get the right study materials and you'll do just fine

Reactions: 1 user
You can teach yourself ochem with the study materials.. I was out of school for almost 2 years before I took my DAT and I scored a 20 AA and 22TS.. Back in school I had achieved B's in all my chem courses and was always surprised how I even passed with the limited knowledge I gained throughout the semesters.. Honestly the DAT is a pretty basic test, especially when it comes to the science portion. Just get the right study materials and you'll do just fine
I'll add that I had to get a tutor for gen chem and struggled alot but somehow managed to get a B.. To this day I have no idea how I got B's in chemistry... I got a 26 on the gen chem section of the DAT which was my highest section on the DAT.. As Cap and 1942 said, mikes and chads videos help ALOT and the DAT destroyer is a great resource to really give you an advantage.. All I can say is just trust the process.. Plan out a few months to study for the DAT and its really not as daunting as you'd expect.. Also you have some pretty high GPAs so you must be doing something right

I got a B in both Ochem classes. Ended up with a 30 on the ochem section of the DAT. Just study ochem hard for the DAT and you’ll be fine. You’ll basically be re-teaching yourself by that time anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
The ochem on the DAT is much simpler than the undergrad classes. You only need to understand the menchanisms/reactions at a superficial level. For the best results, I would say use dat destroyer to study for this section, and or memorize your cheat sheets if it helps you.

if you got an A- in ochem and just 1 B+ on an exam, you definitely have a substantial grip on ochem concepts. idk about your school, but my school's ochem exams tried to "trick" us. i found that the dat was far more straightforward; just know the mechanisms, reactants, reagents, and products well and you'll be golden. this is coming from someone who literally couldn't tell an R from an L stereoisomer in her second sem of orgo but managed to scored a 30 on the dat within the next few months.

don't psych yourself out too much about classes translating to the dat. use your dat resources, do lots of practice tests/problems, and you will see how to specifically prepare for the dat :)

For reference I failed OChem 1 and retook and got a B and ended up getting a 21 on Ochem in the DAT, college course level Ochem vs DAT ochem are very different. I think you'll be fine

Chad’s videos (coursesaver) all the way. I got A-/A in orgo 1/2 in Fall 2017/Spring 2018. Took the DAT in August 2020 after watching all of Chad’s videos and scored a 22. Like others are saying, the questions that actually ended up on the DAT were pretty basic for orgo!