Help a newbie figure out his chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. New here..just wanted to see what you thought about my App.

-AK resident
-4.0 GPA
-2 years research with frogs in a lab at my school. It's considering like molecular bio research

-200 volunteer hours spent mainly in ER and ICU
-Shadowing 3 physicians...each for 30 hours.

-LORS all very strong

Besides that I am president of a health club, play on a baseball team, work part time as an assistant nutritionist etc..too many too list but nothing amazing.

Anywho... my MCAT is thursday but I think it will be anywhere from 28-33

What schools should I add/take off? Only place I don't wanna go is NYC

Creighton
Darthmouth
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
Mayo
MC Wisc
OHSU
Penn St
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Ohio St.
Arizona
Toledo
Vermont
Tufts
Tulane
Arkansas
Cincinnati
Colorado (took many AK residents lately so I'm trying..)
Univ Illinois @ Chicago
U of Kansas
Nevada (AK gets preference)
Washington via WWAMI
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Thanks so much!
-UAA

Members don't see this ad.

nix arizona. they accept 0% OOS applicants.

other than that it is a solid list of schools.

good luck on the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
nix arizona. they accept 0% OOS applicants.

other than that it is a solid list of schools.

good luck on the MCAT

Looks pretty solid to me. (Besides AZ). Good luck!

This girl who goes there told me they now accept 25% oos starting this year.

I haven't seen this posted online though...I will look into this, thanks!

As others have said, you have a nice list of schools there. You could add a couple of private, more competitive schools...especially if you get 35+ on the MCAT. Maybe Vanderbilt, Emory, Harvard, JHU, Brown. Not all of those, just a sample of schools you could add. A plus from Vanderbilt is that you only pay the secondary fee if they are going to interview you. For often forgotten about 'low-mid tier' schools, consider Albany and SUNY Upstate. Albany is private, and SUNY is public, but they take a fair number of OOS-ers. SUNY upstate is in Syracuse, NY--not NYC. You could also consider the DC schools, and places like Drexel.

Is Utah on the WWAMI program too? I know they have a thing for Idaho residents...not sure about Alaska. They are a quality school, apply if they have any sort of deal for Alaskans.

Obviously, if you can manage 31+, better yet 33+...you'll really be very competitive at many of the schools on your list. Best of luck to you.

FYI...the week of the MCAT, I thought 32 was the best possible scenario for my MCAT. When I left the test, I thought I was anywhere from 23-28. No way I had gotten even a 30. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I got my score back...34. So, just keep your head down, and stay positive during the test. You'll do great!!

Your list will be very different depending on if you get a 28 or a 33. It`s difficult to formulate a plan withou the MCAT score. Otherwise, a very nice application. Go ahead and submit with just a few less-selective schools and add more when your score comes back.

Odds are good and the selection is decent. Do well on the MCAT.