Help a noobie out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ost3oclast

It's Teh Internetz Dood!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, lowly MS-II here trying to decide if family practice is for me. I was hoping you guys might be able to clear things up for me to better help me decide which field I want to pursue.

At my school we actually have a small set of rotations between MS-I and MS-II. These are just small family practice rotations in rural areas of my state. Long story short, I've actually found that I really enjoy rural FP. I've had many patients and doctors tell me that I would do really well in the career and find that the work keeps me on my toes.

My last rotation was with a doc who mentioned that I could actually be trained to do my own endoscopies and colonoscopies (even C-sections) as a family practice doc. Right now he does neither of those but does take hospital call and does a couple of stress tests up there every week. I was really surprised that you could do stuff like this as an FP....call me a noob :( So how does one actually go about finding a residency program that will train you to do these procedures as an FP? Are these programs rare?

Right now I'm trying to decide between gen surg, FP and possibly neurology. There are positives and negatives to each obviously but there is one potential worry I have about FP....mainly concerning NP's and PA's. One of my preceptors literally told me a couple of weeks ago that he doesn't think family practice will exist for physicians in 15 years. He thinks that it will be completely over run by mid levels and MD's will be relegated to administrative roles. One plus about surgery is that the push from these people wouldn't threaten my livelihood. Apparently, they want nothing to do with neurology either (just word of mouth around here). How do you guys see family practice going in the future? Will I even have a clinical role?

All BS aside, I really enjoy the experiences I have in rural family practice. I like having the options to take hospitalist call, work in the ER and do some of the smaller procedures that I could do as a general surgeon. One of the only things that is holding me back from going into the field head first is all the doom and gloom around mid level encroachment on the field. I don't really care about making billions of dollars (sarcasm) or rolling up to clinic in a lambo, I just want to have a job that isn't threatened.....thanks for your insight ahead of time.

Members don't see this ad.

PAs/NPs will not take over primary care, and I say that as a PA who works in several rural settings with Family medicine attendings.
Every practice in the rural towns I work in has a few PAs/NPs to help with the workload but they all have numerous family medicine attendings who enjoy a great lifestyle, salary, and scope of practice. If I ever went back to medschool it would be to do full scope rural FP. Nothing beats working in a rural environment. we need more docs there. follow your heart.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah it struck me as kind of weird. I like the idea of working with PA/NP providers but all the paranoia gets to you as a med student after awhile and really starts to make you not want to pursue the career you want for fear of being unemployed.

Members don't see this ad :)
read @cabinbuilder 's thread about doing locums fm in rural environments.....if I seem to recall correctly she said you can do all sorts of fun procedures and the real restriction comes with knowing what your limits in knowledge are

Awesome will do! Although I don't want to do locum's work I'm sure it will address exactly what I need.