HELP! A question about reporting my minor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomlogik

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okie, I am wondering whether or not I should report my theatre minor. First of all, I just decided to do it this semester based upon the encouragement of my Introductory Theatre Prof. Considering that class doesn't even count towards the minor, I will have to fit all the classes in within the next year. I have already checked my schedule, and it is possible to complete the minor. However, circumstances could arise such as time conflicts between classes, etc., that would prevent me from finishing it. How would medical schools view someone not completing a minor that they stated they would?

Members don't see this ad.

This is complicated... I'd actually say don't report it because you don't seem totally sold on the idea of doing it. That said, reporting it and not doing it will not be horribly detrimental to you because you should already hold acceptances by then. Further, schools don't hold students to future coursework all that tightly.

Let me clarify. I am actually very excited about the idea of doing this minor. My favorite Prof of all times :D is teaching 3 of the courses I need, and I am already signed up for them. I will only need a couple more courses in addition to those to get the minor, so I figured that I mite as well go for it. However, since this is putting 18 hours in my last semester, there is a slight possibility of scheduling conflicts, etc. mite prevent me from completing all of the classes. My main concern was how med schools would view me not completed it. I am just making sure that they would not to retract an acceptance or anything like that??!

Hi random,

I emailed AMCAS a little while with a question about a minor and, while the question wasn't the same as yours, their answer may be appropriate.
This is what they said:

"Entering a "Minor" isn't required, but if you want to do it, yes you should select "Other Minor", and type the name in the "Modified Name"
field."

(The other stuff was for my question.)

You seem to feel uncomfortable entering it, otherwise you wouldn't ask about it. My suggestion, just don't enter it. Then you don't have to stress over it. God knows we'll have enough of that as it is. (But at least we weren't the guinea pigs like last year.) If you do finish it, or know you can, when it comes interview time, then mention it. It'll be something to talk about that I think would be pretty interesting.

Good luck! :)