help/advice needed for Los Angeles area

Started by amy888
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amy888

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi--
This message is directed to people who are familiar with Los Angeles and what it has to offer in terms of school. I need your advice.

Here's my story. I was once pre-med but stupidly decided to drop it. I came out with a BA in communication technology. I have taken Bio 1 and 2 and Chem 1 and 2 with poor grades. I would like to do a post-bacc but am afraid of rejection because I already took some science classes. (I graduated in 2002, so it hasnt been all that long)

I recently moved to the LA area after a few years overseas. I intend to stay in this area because my boyfriend cannot move from here. If you were me, what would you do:

-USC (I've heard not so good things about this, plus pricey)
-Scripps (I would need to take Calculus, where should I take it?)
-Put together my own program? where is best? have any of you done this?
-second bachelors? might be fun 😉 where would you go?

I would LOVE any and all advice! My new year's resolution is to get this thing kicked off. I want to go to dental school!
 
You could look into UCLA Extension. I have a friend who has been happy doing her premed reqs there in the evening while working full-time. She has not had too much trouble getting into classes. It's cheaper than a private.
 
do you know if those extension courses come with a lab component? i was thinking they wouldnt be good enough for med school. more as hobby courses. but of course i could be mistaken since ive never taken one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what are your undergrad stats? If you are really interested in Scripps, call Jodi and talk to her. Her # is on the website. As I mentioned on another thread, 1200 SAT and 3.3 is probably the minimum #s to be a competitive applicant. The course is 12 months and will be more than enough to prepare you for dental apps.
 
my stats are:

SAT: 1170
undergrad: 3.1 overall

little less than competitive : (

what do you think d?
 
when i started to take my gchem classes, i met this guy who was 27 switching his career to medicine. He had a BA in art. he took his science courses through extension for 2 years and did good. He ended up going to vegas medical school while i was still completing my BA!
 
Consider one of the CSUs. There are cheap, and what you get is what you put into the classes. The instructors tend to be pretty helpful. I am working on postbac at CSU Northridge. It's going well for me and I am happy with my choice.
 
Consider one of the CSUs. There are cheap, and what you get is what you put into the classes. The instructors tend to be pretty helpful. I am working on postbac at CSU Northridge. It's going well for me and I am happy with my choice.

The only caveat I would add to that is that CSU's are generally thought of to be "lesser" schools. That means that a good performance at a CSU will not impress an ADCOM as much as a good performance at a UC or some private schools. Not trying to discourage anyone from doing it, just want to make sure people are aware of this before they make any decision.

That being said, I did a post-bac at CSUSB and eventually made it into med school.