Help an M4 trying to make a program list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwanttobelieve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr US MD student currently looking at peds programs. I was hoping for some guidance for possible programs I might be competitive at.

School: mid-tier Midwest school, probably in 2nd quartile of my class?
Scores: 234 (Step 1), 246 (Step 2 CK), no failures
Grades: mix of P/HP third yr (P in peds), unfortunately got a pass in my NICU sub-I but it seems to have been due to one single attending's eval which had nice comments but low numerical grades??), and the other attendings I worked with rated me very highly and have agreed to write LORs
Extracurriculars: some volunteering/teaching stuff, club leadership stuff
Other: multiple merit scholarships from my med school
Research: 2 pubs (1 is first author), 4 poster presentations (mainly peds research, but also some other stuff from college), won a research award at our local poster presentation research session

In terms of my app, I'm mostly worried about what I feel are rather lackluster clinical grades, though I did get great comments and hopefully good LORs. I'd be happy to stay in the Midwest and would especially love to be able to go back to Chicago, but am mostly hoping for a medium sized city and decent research and advocacy opportunities.

Would really appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr US MD student currently looking at peds programs. I was hoping for some guidance for possible programs I might be competitive at.

School: mid-tier Midwest school, probably in 2nd quartile of my class?
Scores: 234 (Step 1), 246 (Step 2 CK), no failures
Grades: mix of P/HP third yr (P in peds), unfortunately got a pass in my NICU sub-I but it seems to have been due to one single attending's eval which had nice comments but low numerical grades??), and the other attendings I worked with rated me very highly and have agreed to write LORs
Extracurriculars: some volunteering/teaching stuff, club leadership stuff
Other: multiple merit scholarships from my med school
Research: 2 pubs (1 is first author), 4 poster presentations (mainly peds research, but also some other stuff from college), won a research award at our local poster presentation research session

In terms of my app, I'm mostly worried about what I feel are rather lackluster clinical grades, though I did get great comments and hopefully good LORs. I'd be happy to stay in the Midwest and would especially love to be able to go back to Chicago, but am mostly hoping for a medium sized city and decent research and advocacy opportunities.

Would really appreciate any advice or recommendations anyone has!
Sending you a PM

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
University of Minnesota fits what you want