HELP!!! Any premeds with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for those of you who have officially been diagnosed.

How did you deal with studying for the MCAT, applications, etc ? Any other tactics besides meds?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm really just curious, so please no attitude.

If you can't handle the test because of your ADD, what makes you think you'll be able to handle situations you'd see as a doctor?

I was recently diagnosed with ADhey look at that squirrel!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's another thread by a member with ADD... the OP's screen name is brideofwalken.

maybe it'll help?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm really just curious, so please no attitude.

If you can't handle the test because of your ADD, what makes you think you'll be able to handle situations you'd see as a doctor?

That's a good question. Actually, ADD/ADHD affects approximately 4-7% of the U.S. population. I have heard from my doctor that he has treated several doctors in just my community that have this disorder. Although, I don't know who these individuals are, I figure that if they can do medicine so can I.

I started reading this post but then I got distracted.

What were you all saying?

I used meds in school but I'd also use running (any form of cardiac excercise really) to get my mind going. I'm not sure why, but if I took a 30-45 minute run during a long study session I just processed things much better. I also confined myself to a corner in the library without a computer (unless I was typing a paper or something) and listened to my ipod so I wouldn't be distracted by people walking by. I trained myself to study (90%) and the adderall gave me the extra 10% I needed to make the A's.

Rotinaj, I don't look at ADD as a problem at all; in fact, I think it it might be an advantage at least when I'm actually in the real-world. I can multi-task better than anyone I know (with or without medication) and I easily see the big picture. When it comes to small details I usually glance over them so sometimes I misread or glance over very detailed things unless I'm making myself focus (the adderall helps me focus so I read more closely). Yes, details are important but more often than not medicine is about the big picture. I take the drugs so I can more easily focus on the details. A few years back some study showed that most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies were ADD. It may hurt in terms of GPA but it's actually quite helpful in the outside world (assuming a person learns how to direct their skills properly)!

This is for those of you who have officially been diagnosed.

How did you deal with studying for the MCAT, applications, etc ? Any other tactics besides meds?
I had when I was small but now its gone

That's a good question. Actually, ADD/ADHD affects approximately 4-7% of the U.S. population. I have heard from my doctor that he has treated several doctors in just my community that have this disorder. Although, I don't know who these individuals are, I figure that if they can do medicine so can I.

Not trying to be argumentative either, but the diagnosis of ADD/ADHD has almost become a fad.
There are many people who seriously do have it, but many people are also misdiagnosed because all they have to do is "show symptoms."
There was a thread debating the use of adderall and ritalin (just search it), and this came up; how easy it is to get diagnosed to get the prescriptions.

Again, not trying to get anyone pissed. just my thoughts on that 4-7% stat.

Just take Adderall like every other college student.

Seriously??

You think sitting in a cold room for 4.5 hours staring at a computer screen reading a story about deforestation in Brazil is anything like a trauma in an ER. Please, that test is useless.

Honestly, drink anything with Guarana. Stuff works like a charm.

ADD is a gift, not a disability.

I also have ADHD and was just diagnosed a year ago. I understand exactly where you're coming from. Get some headphones that block out sound. (Usually they can be found in the hunting section at a store.) If you want you could ask your professor to record the lecture. Also when studying try to be in a room with as little distractions as possible. This has helped me out along with medication.

Haha, you think it's funny, but I was once in the middle of explaining something to my girlfriend when I did something like that: "So, you see, it real-hey, salt!"

Seriously??

You think sitting in a cold room for 4.5 hours staring at a computer screen reading a story about deforestation in Brazil is anything like a trauma in an ER. Please, that test is useless.

Honestly, drink anything with Guarana. Stuff works like a charm.

ADD is a gift, not a disability.

A gift you say??? Try telling that to the parents of a son that exhibits practically every possible symptom of ADD which has now lead to severe depression among other psychological problems which requires lots of therapy and meds....dont know if they would describe it quite like you do.

True story by the way

Just wondering what others have done or their thoughts.

I was diagnosed with ADD after my freshman year in college, after recieving 2 D's in gen chem. I repeated one semester and recieved an A, but was unable to take the second semester over because of time restraints. After the diagnosis my grades improved dramatically, I got a 4.0 last semester. I also went to a dr. who helped me re-organize my life and helped me figure out how I work/study best, and manage my stress etc. Basic stuff, but it helped!

In the personal statement / secondaries you are told to address any problems or inconsistencies in your transcripts etc. I'm not sure whether to tell them about my ADD or not. If I told them it seems like I would have to do a lot of explaining or in a way justify myself. If I didn't would I just look like a lazy student?

What do others think, has anyone done this and if so how did you explain?