Help brainstorm!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeacherGoneMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for Columbia's postbacc and I did not get it. They told me that I took too many sciences and did poorly in them. I took chem I, phys. I, Bio I & II, and Anatomy I & II, I took these at a community college so I thought they would not count as strongly and it was in 2002. Obviously, it counted.
Now, I'm stuck at a crossroads, I am moving to NYC because of my spouse's work and I wanted to do a formal program because I need the extra help with resources and structure. I now feel certain that if Columbia said no, then NYU will probably feel the same way. I am truly concerned with making the right decision, I am passionate about medicine but am wondering if the door might be closed. I have a poor academic track record but did improve and there is certainly an upward trend. I have volunteered abroad and worked in many projects with non-profits.
I have considered HES but it would involve being away from my better half. Please feel free to give me your opinions because this is the one place I seem to find answers.

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to apply to a Special Masters Program which is different than a post-bac. Generally post-bac is for those who have little or no science backgrounds and have decided to enter medicine (prob why you didnt get into it the Columbia program). SMP are typically one year programs that improve credentials by "starting over" in a rigorous science program. Check out the threads about SMP to learn more.

if you have taken too many science courses, then you should def. apply for SMPs. If you feel that your cum/science gpa are too low even for admissions to an SMP, you should take some UG courses informally at one of the CUNYs. You can also retake the ones that you did poorly in and have that factored into your overall. Check the Postbacc in NYC and DIY Postbacc in NYC threads.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken some sciences but not all, and an smp I understood you had to even have taken the MCAT. I know as of now, there is not way I could do decently in it and I have not taken chem II, or organic anything, including calculus. So I don't know that the smp is a real option right now. I have considered the informal route but columbia and nyu don't allow premedical students to do it this way. They said that they don't allow those courses for nondegree seekers because of the postbacc.

I suggest at this point that you consider finishing up your prereqs in an informal program at one of the CUNYs (eg. Hunter) and then see how you feel about pursuing an SMP.

Yup, finish informally and then look at your GPA & MCAT then. You may elect to take upper level sciences and continue on, or do an SMP, or apply right away. Columbia is tough as hell with the curve, you may find that this is actually a better way for you to ease back in to the academic environment.