Help building/refining my school list 3.6 / 510 (MD, DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted688186

Hi all, I'm a new poster here and longtime lurker. I was hoping you all could help me build/refine the list of schools I'm applying to. Here's a short look at my stats:

cGPA: 3.597 (ugh), sGPA: 3.513
MCAT: 510 (125 / 131 / 127 / 127)
Ohio Resident: 25, multiracial male, LGBTQ+ (not sure that matters)
Interested in rural medicine: yes
Interested in military service: yes
Undergrad: University of Cincinnati, BS in Biology, Minors in Chemistry and History
150 hours volunteering: working at food bank, local environment cleanups, covid19 first responder meal drive.
60 hours shadowing: GI surgeon, Breast Surgeon, Radiologist, Oncologist
1 year research: 200+ hours on tick feeding behavior for prominent research professor, no publication

6 years as a high school rowing coach: 20-30hrs / week (numerous national championships, winning gold twice and silver twice)
2 summers as a landscaper: 15-20hrs / week
3 years as a server in restaurants: 16-24hrs / in the fall, winter, spring

Extracurriculars: Play guitar, painting and drawing, rowing, yoga, and fencing for exercise. Conversational French speaker

I am missing more clinical experience, which has been difficult to acquire due to the pandemic and my hectic work schedule. Any suggestions on how to pick up clinical experience in this environment?

Anyway, here's my general list of schools I'm targeting. Please let me know if I should add to remove any schools.
MD
Wright State Boonshoft
Toledo
Northeast Ohio Medical
Louisville
University of Kentucky
West Virginia University
Rosalind Franklin
Uniformed Services
Wake Forest
Tulane
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
Michigan State
Geiseinger
Louisiana State University
Las Vegas
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
South Carolina Greenville
Loyola
Vermont

DO
Ohio University
Pikeville
Michigan State University
Rocky Vista
Lake Erie
Philadelphia
Arizona State
Campbell University

Please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t apply without Clinical experience. It would be a big mistake. You need 200+ hours of clinical experiences(can be paid or volunteer.)

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t apply without Clinical experience. It would be a big mistake. You need 200+ hours of clinical experiences(can be paid or volunteer.)
Thank you for letting me know! I graduated May 2020 and had planned on getting clinical experience after I graduated, but covid made it difficult to find volunteer opportunities in clinical settings.

Do you suggest that I don't apply this cycle? I may be able to find an opportunity this summer as restrictions ease up, but that would be quite late in the summer when I would hit that volume of hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't have to be volunteering. Clinical experience can be paid as long as it’s face to face with patients. If you really have NO clinical experiences it would be a mistake to apply. As @Goro always says “med schools aren’t going anyplace”. You really only want to apply one time, so do it right.

Reactions: 1 users
It doesn't have to be volunteering. Clinical experience can be paid as long as it’s face to face with patients. If you really have NO clinical experiences it would be a mistake to apply. As @Goro always says “med schools aren’t going anyplace”. You really only want to apply one time, so do it right.
Thanks again so much for your feedback! Shadowing isn't considered clincial experience, right? If I was able to gain clinical experience starting in May, would you still recommend waiting for the next cycle?

Thanks again so much for your feedback! Shadowing isn't considered clincial experience, right? If I was able to gain clinical experience starting in May, would you still recommend waiting for the next cycle?
Shadowing is A clinical experience, but it's a passive one that simply shows you what a doctor's day is like.

The real clinical experiences are the ones where you interact with patients. Getting a boatload of this starting in May will look too much like box-checking. You apply when you have the best possible app, even if it means skipping a cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing is A clinical experience, but it's a passive one that simply shows you what a doctor's day is like.

The real clinical experiences are the ones where you interact with patients. Getting a boatload of this starting in May will look too much like box-checking. You apply when you have the best possible app, even if it means skipping a cycle.
Darn. That was my major concern. Do you think there will be any sympathy to the consequences of the pandemic to people's schedules? It was my goal this past year to take the MCAT and gain clinical experience, but I was unable to land a job or volunteer slot in clinical settings until this past week. Not to mention I've still had to work my regular job to pay the bills.

If I do indeed end up taking another gap year, are there other parts of my application that need beefing up?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Would experience in clinical setting for e.g. running COVID-19 serology clinics for staff members, count as clinical experience or does it have to be patients?