You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WAMC/School List Help: 3.58 & 510, URM
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Make sure you network with SNMA chapters at the schools on your list. Add the HBCU schools.
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
Thanks! Are there any red flags on my app?Make sure you network with SNMA chapters at the schools on your list. Add the HBCU schools.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could add any of these schools to your application:
Dartmouth
Boston University
Brown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Dartmouth
Boston University
Brown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
Doesn’t Cincinnati require very high stats?You could add any of these schools to your application:
Dartmouth
Boston University
Brown
Pittsburgh
Jefferson
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Cincinnati
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
They are also looking for URM applicants.Doesn’t Cincinnati require very high stats?
I recommend everything Faha included and
Temple
RUSH
Drexel
All Florida Schools (I know you don't 'like' Florida, but unless you'd rather not go to medical school over a FL MD, I recommend UF, FIU, FSU, and UM at the minimum).
You're app looks strong. Good luck
Temple
RUSH
Drexel
All Florida Schools (I know you don't 'like' Florida, but unless you'd rather not go to medical school over a FL MD, I recommend UF, FIU, FSU, and UM at the minimum).
You're app looks strong. Good luck
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
I went to school in FL for a short period of time and I don’t have residency there. Will it be worth it to apply bc there’s heavy is bias?I recommend everything Faha included and
Temple
RUSH
Drexel
All Florida Schools (I know you don't 'like' Florida, but unless you'd rather not go to medical school over a FL MD, I recommend UF, FIU, FSU, and UM at the minimum).
You're app looks strong. Good luck
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
What I meant by that is not having any friends/family nearby caused my mental health to be very bad and my grades suffered (plus traumatic experiences). Fl was a very isolating experience for me and I don’t want a repeat of that again.I'd be less concerned with IS bias and more concerned with the "I do not like Florida so I will not be applying to any FL schools".
Sorry if I offended anyone, but bc of personal reasons I was very firm in not wanting to live in Fl. I am open to school anywhere else of course
Last edited:
Then we aren't getting your biography right. What northeast state are you a resident (you have Florida ties)?What I meant by that is how not having any friends/family nearby caused my mental health to be very bad and my grades suffered (plus traumatic experiences). Fl was a very isolating experience for me and I don’t want a repeat of that again.
Sorry if I offended anyone, but bc of personal reasons I was very firm in not wanting to live in Fl. I am open to school anywhere else of course
The HBCU schools should be on your list, and you should find a mentoring organization that cater to Black premeds like SNMA.
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
I will apply to HBCUs. I am a resident of a state in the northeast, but I go to school in Fl. I don’t know if living in Fl for a few years qualifies me for any instate advantages.Then we aren't getting your biography right. What northeast state are you a resident (you have Florida ties)?
The HBCU schools should be on your list, and you should find a mentoring organization that cater to Black premeds like SNMA.
When u include HBCUs, state schools, and the list that faha mentioned that’s about ~30 schools. I can’t afford to add Florida schools
I think you can reach further - I recommend picking from the following schools based on personal preference and where you want to live. If you are a resident, you should apply to the FL schools unless you don't want to.
Reach
Duke University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Target
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Creighton University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Baseline
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University
Nova Southeastern University (Patel)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Quinnipiac University
Howard University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
Oakland University Beaumont
Tulane University
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Reach
Duke University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Target
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Creighton University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Baseline
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University
Nova Southeastern University (Patel)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Quinnipiac University
Howard University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
Oakland University Beaumont
Tulane University
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Nobody is trying to doxx you here, but if you tell what state you are a resident of, it helps someone make a more appropriate list for you.I will apply to HBCUs. I am a resident of a state in the northeast, but I go to school in Fl. I don’t know if living in Fl for a few years qualifies me for any instate advantages.
When u include HBCUs, state schools, and the list that faha mentioned that’s about ~30 schools. I can’t afford to add Florida schools
and I'm with you on the no Florida thing LOL
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A couple of questions. Sorry if I'm being dense here.Hello everyone! I would like some help with my school list/feedback on my app. Thank you in advance!!
1. cGPA:3.58, sGPA: 3.45
2. MCAT Score: 510
3. Northeast with Florida ties (I do not like Florida so I will not be applying to any FL schools).
4. African American
5. Basic state school
6. Research: 600hrs, 3 posters at my school-about healthcare in marginalized communities
7. Clinical: 80hrs hospital volunteer, 1k uncertified home health aide, 40hrs shadowing
8. Non clinical: 500hrs tutoring low income elementary students, 400hrs food pantry, sex ed for low income students 100hrs
9. Other EC: student leadership positions in social justice organizations (4 years), 1 research award, 1 scholarship award for my volunteering
Edit: strong LOR from humanities& non clinical volunteer coordinator, okay LOR from stem professor and PI
School List:
1. Einstein
2. Tufts
3. SUNY Downstate
4. NYMC
5. University of Vermont
6. Loyola
7. Rush
8. Rosalind Franklin
9. Oakland
10. Medical College of Wisconsin
11. Creighton
12, SLU
13. All state schools
1) What do you mean by "1K uncertified home health aide"?
2) You say that you are a Florida resident, but don't want to apply to Florida schools and are applying to all state schools. Do you mean all state schools outside of Florida?
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
Sorry for confusing anyone.A couple of questions. Sorry if I'm being dense here.
1) What do you mean by "1K uncertified home health aide"?
2) You say that you are a Florida resident, but don't want to apply to Florida schools and are applying to all state schools. Do you mean all state schools outside of Florida?
1. I am a legal resident of a state in the northeast but I go to school in FL. I think that gives me FL ties; however, I did not like my time in Florida (for personal reasons). So I don’t want to apply to Florida schools
2. Uncertified Home health aid in the sense of me taking care of disabled adults in their homes. Basically managing their care in between doctor visits (checking BP, ADLs, etc).
I'll repeat: make sure you connect with SNMA or similar mentoring organizations for Black aspiring doctors.
I don't think just going to college in Florida makes you a Florida resident. Many schools will look at where you attended high school (there is SES data about that) and the education/occupation of your parents (EO score). The very tedious questions on AMCAS (and other CASes) about school lunches, Pell grants, etc., are also indicators that help admissions and student affairs folks identify your SES background which is especially important for post-SFFA admissions practices. We don't want all of that here, but if you grew up in one county/state for a meaningful period of your childhood where your parents paid taxes at their jobs or where you got your driver's license (presuming you drive) all can point to state domicility according to policies at each state.
From the original profile, social justice is obviously important. Are there specific areas that you feel you can better address leveraging your medical education? What opportunities in medical school do you want to participate in that get you to that goal? This is where SNMA/AMSA/NMA connections will help you with making the school list.
I don't think just going to college in Florida makes you a Florida resident. Many schools will look at where you attended high school (there is SES data about that) and the education/occupation of your parents (EO score). The very tedious questions on AMCAS (and other CASes) about school lunches, Pell grants, etc., are also indicators that help admissions and student affairs folks identify your SES background which is especially important for post-SFFA admissions practices. We don't want all of that here, but if you grew up in one county/state for a meaningful period of your childhood where your parents paid taxes at their jobs or where you got your driver's license (presuming you drive) all can point to state domicility according to policies at each state.
From the original profile, social justice is obviously important. Are there specific areas that you feel you can better address leveraging your medical education? What opportunities in medical school do you want to participate in that get you to that goal? This is where SNMA/AMSA/NMA connections will help you with making the school list.
Coco.Noir777
Full Member
I used your school list website from Reddit and I got a score of 639. What does this mean?I think you can reach further - I recommend picking from the following schools based on personal preference and where you want to live. If you are a resident, you should apply to the FL schools unless you don't want to.
Reach
Duke University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Target
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Creighton University
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Seton Hall - Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Baseline
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Western Michigan University
Nova Southeastern University (Patel)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Vermont College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Albany Medical College
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Quinnipiac University
Howard University College of Medicine
New York Medical College
Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
Oakland University Beaumont
Tulane University
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
University of Arizona College of Medicine
I used your school list website from Reddit and I got a score of 639. What does this mean?
You’ll get an idea of what the score means by looking at the school list.
Thanks for clarifying.Sorry for confusing anyone.
1. I am a legal resident of a state in the northeast but I go to school in FL. I think that gives me FL ties; however, I did not like my time in Florida (for personal reasons). So I don’t want to apply to Florida schools
2. Uncertified Home health aid in the sense of me taking care of disabled adults in their homes. Basically managing their care in between doctor visits (checking BP, ADLs, etc).
Your list looks good. I'd like to see you get a little more traditional clinical exposure than you have, either in a hospital or clinical or EMS setting. You may want to add Chicago Medical and MSU's MD program. You may also want to consider adding a few DO programs.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 497