HELP: Cal or UCI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a chem major in a UC and I want to transfer to either UCI or UCB, but my gpa is around a 3.5 and I don't want it to drop anymore (I need to raise it to about a 3.6, hopefully). All I have left are those upper divisions classes (about 1.5 years left to finish). Cal is one of the top schools in the nation, would it look much better if I graduated from there (what would D-schools think).

I need help because I have 1 day to decide.

Thanks very much fellow SDNers.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get the same grades, it won't matter which one you go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
i go to UCI. In terms of bio I feel that its pretty intense here. I'm not sure how it is in CAL but I'm sure their gangster too :cool:. But yeah I think CAL would look better to D-schools, no offense to my fellow anteaters. :p

i say it doesnt matter, as long as u get the grades.

What's wrong with the UC you're at now? Is it that easy to transfer between schools? Do you like the quarter system? I didn't like the semester system at Cal, so much rides on 1 or 2 tests and they just cover too much material. Do you like the Bay Area or OC more?

Even though I struggled at Cal, if I had to make the choice between there and UCI, I would choose Cal for sure. Mainly because I'm from the Bay Area and enjoy the more progressive mindset of the atmosphere in Berkeley. I think going to UCI would drive me nuts. Too cookie cutter there for me.

If you're planning to go straight into dental school, I don't think it'll make a big difference where you graduate from as long as your grades are high and you have a decent DAT score. If you plan to take some time off and work, I would say the UCB degree holds a bit more weight. Something I didn't realize until I started interviewing job applicants when I was working before starting dental school.

to xaznxcountx, gangsters at UCI???

What school are you in now?

Go to UC Berkeley.

I originally went to UCD cuz I only got into UCD and UCI. I transferred to UCB my junior year. It was a bad choice in terms of GPA. I slacked off, studied the same way I was studying at UCD. I thought I could get 3.8-4.0 without goign to class and by pulling all nighter the day before. I got 2.7 2nd semester at UCB. But for the rest of the semesters, I got 3.6-4.0. UCB is def harder than UCD/UCI no doubt. I do not regret my decision. Why? UCB hooks u up with tons of extracurriculars and tons of well-known faculty. UCSF is close by. Tons of research volunteering opportunities are out there (I did all my research and volunteering at UCSF medical and dental school). Students here are so damn motivated and competitive, the environment itself will make you study ur *** off and prepare you better for DAT (even though I have not yet taken it).

I just got rejected from UCI, but I got into UCSD. But I'm going to CSULB, 'cause GPA matters more than schools...

to nhasifuture there are a few gangsters at UCI not many, haha. I meant it in the context of being tough/difficult. My bad, thats SoCal for ya. :cool:

if transfering would cause a gpa drop, then i would recommend staying at your current UC and get more As.

lol @ what PWNed Shop said

hahaha, its not that much of a paradox. There are some people I know who still have gang affiliations and are still in college. Although they aren't predents like us and obviously don't work as hard. lol :D

hahaha, its not that much of a paradox. There are some people I know who still have gang affiliations and are still in college. Although they aren't predents like us and obviously don't work as hard. lol :D

I used to know a few when I was a freshmen in college. For the most part, they tend to get "phased out" as classes get progressively tougher toward the later years.

im transferring to UCLA!!! this fall 08! does going to UCLA undergraudate give me a better chance for UCLA dental school?

I graduated from UCI and it's definitely a tough bio program, but it's very well respected, especially in neurobiology. I think either school would be tough. Having visited Berkeley while going to UCI, it's definitely a better atmosphere because Irvine is basically a concrete jungle and it's mostly a commuter school. I'm taking it that if you're transferring from another UC other than UCLA, both will probably more difficult in bio, but I can't say for sure.

Go to UC Berkeley.

I originally went to UCD cuz I only got into UCD and UCI. I transferred to UCB my junior year. It was a bad choice in terms of GPA. I slacked off, studied the same way I was studying at UCD. I thought I could get 3.8-4.0 without goign to class and by pulling all nighter the day before. I got 2.7 2nd semester at UCB. But for the rest of the semesters, I got 3.6-4.0. UCB is def harder than UCD/UCI no doubt. I do not regret my decision. Why? UCB hooks u up with tons of extracurriculars and tons of well-known faculty. UCSF is close by. Tons of research volunteering opportunities are out there (I did all my research and volunteering at UCSF medical and dental school). Students here are so damn motivated and competitive, the environment itself will make you study ur *** off and prepare you better for DAT (even though I have not yet taken it).

I have never taken classes at UCB, so I can't say which one is harder in terms of GPA. But for research and volunteer, UCD can definitely give you if you want it. UCD has so many research going on, both on campus and in the medical school. The students are motivated but probably not as competitive, which may or may not be a good thing because some people don't want to be educated in such a competitive environment. But not doubt, both schools are good. Back to the OP, isn't it difficult to transfer from a UC to another UC? If you are transferring because of prestige, you probably should think again because it won't look MUCH better just because you go to a better UC, it's your grade that matters much more. But if you are unhappy with your current school, it understandable.