HELP Changing from IM to ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OR 1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey could you guys give some advice

Honestly I applied to ER, didn't get in. So I've started my second year of IM, got a a great background in doing H&Ps, adjusting meds, deeply examining problems and YES doing proceedures, intubations, running codes central lines, chest tubes etc. Passed USMLE 1 and 2 with 197. Honered in ER in my 4th year, had 2 strong ER letters of rec, toxicology rotatation, didn't fail any classes got 80 and 90's in many classes, I am a DO . Got 2 interviews the last time I applied. Currently I am at a residency on the east coast.

What do I say in a autobio statement- Hi I didn't get
in before here I am again apply-ing again!! Or don't say I applied before?? If I say I've loved ER all my life ,did all these ER rotations, and PD's will say then why did you go into IM?

HELP in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Going from IM to ER is a matter of walking down the stairs

:annoyed:

If you're serious and you've done the thinking and are committed, the next step is talking with your program director sooner rather than later. After you do that, you need to start contacting EM program directors elsewhere to see what your shot is. Decide if you want an AOA, ACGME, or Dual AOA/ACGME program. Start with the programs you would consider first. Be aware that you may need to do EM 1 all over again.