HELP choosing a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xyz77777

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just graduated from the University of Florida and I was accepted into Florida Southern Colleges DPT program and University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences DPT program. Here is my dilemma:
1. USAHS is a 131 credit hour program with 28 clinical hours. FSC is a 108 credit hour program and has 36 clinical hours. Does it look bad that FSC has way less teaching associated with it? Does it look bad that USAHS has way less clinical hours?
2. FSC is not an accredited program but has passed the hardest part of the accreditation process and is being run by somebody who has succeeded in starting at least 2 other DPT programs and they are all successful. Their program is 30 people per cohort and it is all in person (which I prefer). USAHS is accredited and hybrid. There are around 60 people per cohort with 3 cohorts per year for their residential program (which I am doing) plus 3 more cohorts per year of 30 people for their flex program. I am worried I will be just a number there.
3. My interview for FSC was in person (pre-COVID19) and I loved the staff, campus, and students I met. USAHS was online due to COVID19 and it has been hard for me to connect with the school/ get responses from my advisor which makes me nervous since they are a hybrid program and virtual communication would be important.
Overall, I am just hoping current PT students or PT graduates can give me insight on which way I should lean. Also if you attend USAHS I would really love to hear from a current student at USAHS.
Thank you so much for any help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
I just graduated from the University of Florida and I was accepted into Florida Southern Colleges DPT program and University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences DPT program. Here is my dilemma:
1. USAHS is a 131 credit hour program with 28 clinical hours. FSC is a 108 credit hour program and has 36 clinical hours. Does it look bad that FSC has way less teaching associated with it? Does it look bad that USAHS has way less clinical hours?
2. FSC is not an accredited program but has passed the hardest part of the accreditation process and is being run by somebody who has succeeded in starting at least 2 other DPT programs and they are all successful. Their program is 30 people per cohort and it is all in person (which I prefer). USAHS is accredited and hybrid. There are around 60 people per cohort with 3 cohorts per year for their residential program (which I am doing) plus 3 more cohorts per year of 30 people for their flex program. I am worried I will be just a number there.
3. My interview for FSC was in person (pre-COVID19) and I loved the staff, campus, and students I met. USAHS was online due to COVID19 and it has been hard for me to connect with the school/ get responses from my advisor which makes me nervous since they are a hybrid program and virtual communication would be important.
Overall, I am just hoping current PT students or PT graduates can give me insight on which way I should lean. Also if you attend USAHS I would really love to hear from a current student at USAHS.
Thank you so much for any help in advance!
Just my somewhat biased perspective -
- is it a new program, or did they lose their accreditation and are regaining it? Just curious because most people put a lot of emphasis on making sure your program is accredited (100% understandable)...I am in the inaugural cohort of a new program, so not accredited yet, but same, our director has a proven track record, we are set to graduate in December and we are also fully on track to be accredited. So I know it sounds scary and sketchy but speaking as someone in a program not accredited yet - obviously all programs have to start somewhere and if you aren't seeing any red flags, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Maybe you can talk to current students to get a feel for things?

- I would greatly prefer 108 credits and 36 clinical weeks. A lot of DPT programs are overstuffed with superfluous credits that end up being tedious and unnecessarily expensive, and I would rather be out in clinic than in a classroom. I actually think less credit hours looks better (more efficient). They still have to meet the standards of a DPT program.

- My cohort has just 14 people (long story). Subsequent cohorts are around 35, it is just us that is a fluke. Being part of a small cohort has its perks - we absolutely never lack for faculty attention and care, especially in lab when students are clamoring for help and assistance. We all know each other really well......too well. When tensions run high and everyone is stressed, it seems like it would be nice to have more students to sort of dilute the tension, but the second year students (again, around 35 of them) say it doesn't help. I don't think I would like being a part of a cohort of 60, but I also only know what I know. I think it is very much a matter of personal preference. If you are very social and tend to like to fly solo versus heavily interacting with faculty, then 60 students might be your jam.

- if you know you prefer being in person vs online, heavily weigh that into consideration. The program is difficult enough without it not playing to how you learn.

- is there a big difference in cost? I would factor that in.

- trust your gut

Congrats! Choosing a school is a good problem to have :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just my somewhat biased perspective -
- is it a new program, or did they lose their accreditation and are regaining it? Just curious because most people put a lot of emphasis on making sure your program is accredited (100% understandable)...I am in the inaugural cohort of a new program, so not accredited yet, but same, our director has a proven track record, we are set to graduate in December and we are also fully on track to be accredited. So I know it sounds scary and sketchy but speaking as someone in a program not accredited yet - obviously all programs have to start somewhere and if you aren't seeing any red flags, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. Maybe you can talk to current students to get a feel for things?

- I would greatly prefer 108 credits and 36 clinical weeks. A lot of DPT programs are overstuffed with superfluous credits that end up being tedious and unnecessarily expensive, and I would rather be out in clinic than in a classroom. I actually think less credit hours looks better (more efficient). They still have to meet the standards of a DPT program.

- My cohort has just 14 people (long story). Subsequent cohorts are around 35, it is just us that is a fluke. Being part of a small cohort has its perks - we absolutely never lack for faculty attention and care, especially in lab when students are clamoring for help and assistance. We all know each other really well......too well. When tensions run high and everyone is stressed, it seems like it would be nice to have more students to sort of dilute the tension, but the second year students (again, around 35 of them) say it doesn't help. I don't think I would like being a part of a cohort of 60, but I also only know what I know. I think it is very much a matter of personal preference. If you are very social and tend to like to fly solo versus heavily interacting with faculty, then 60 students might be your jam.

- if you know you prefer being in person vs online, heavily weigh that into consideration. The program is difficult enough without it not playing to how you learn.

- is there a big difference in cost? I would factor that in.

- trust your gut

Congrats! Choosing a school is a good problem to have :)
It is a new program! Thank you so much for all your advice and input. It was really helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a new program! Thank you so much for all your advice and input. It was really helpful!!!
Sure! Good luck deciding! Maybe some other people will also weigh in.
Message me anytime! Sometimes it is just nice to have a sounding board

1. Does it look bad that FSC has way less teaching associated with it? Does it look bad that USAHS has way less clinical hours?
No, hours do not matter. The schools' curriculum must meet certain requirements to be accredited.So if a school is accredited, the rest does not matter.

2. FSC is not an accredited program
Sounds too risky to me. I know someone who got into a program that was not accredited and ended up with nothing but a tuition dept. Weigh the risk of being responsible for paying of a huge tuition for literally no formal education in case something happens and the school does not get accreditation.

I went to USA and the program was fine. Small complaints here and there, but nothing major. You will not need that much virtual communication with your instructors. I did Flex program and rarely needed to contact professors. When I did, 90% would respond in timely manner.
I also believe less clinical hours is a benefit because by the end of the 3rd internship I felt like I want to be finally paid for what I am doing.

I personally would not pick a program that is not accredited no matter what.