Help choosing between Drexel, MGH IHP, and columbia for DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trynabeadpt

Reaction score
Hello! I would love help/opinions about these three programs. Based on scholarships, the bare tuition for Drexel and MGH would be about the same, while columbias would be about 45k more. Solely because of the costs, I am leaning most toward Drexel's program although Columbia's was my favorite it feels very hard to justify the extra money on top of cost of living in NYC for 3 years. So I guess I am just looking for advice between Drexel and MGH mainly.. I am from the west coast so dont have much of a sense of Philly or Boston but have heard Philly is much less expensive of a city. I like that Drexel's program is only 2.5 years and am unsure how I feel about MGH's PBL/flipped classroom approach to the curriculum. Also based off of the virtual open house I got a much more serious/somber vibe from MGH which I didnt love. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Philly is definitely cheaper in terms of cost of living. Also you’ll be located next to major transit lines and a mega bus stop for easier transportation. It’s also close to center city, which is where all the food and shopping centers are. Idk much about Drexel’s program, but if you graduate faster and it costs less, I would go for that. I heard MGH has a paid internship opportunity, but then again you can begin working earlier if you graduate earlier.

And just a side note, philly is a lot closer to New York than Boston so if you ever wanted to take a day trip or weekend trip to NYC, there’s a bus stop in center city that takes you straight up for about $15-20 each way. It’s only 2.5 hours away👍

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My husband graduated from the PA program at Drexel. He lived in Chinatown for two yrs which is very close to Drexel and the rent there was very cheap (4yrs ago though). You might want to check on that. Drexel is a nice program. He also knows some PT professors there who are pretty nice.

Philly is definitely cheaper in terms of cost of living. Also you’ll be located next to major transit lines and a mega bus stop for easier transportation. It’s also close to center city, which is where all the food and shopping centers are. Idk much about Drexel’s program, but if you graduate faster and it costs less, I would go for that. I heard MGH has a paid internship opportunity, but then again you can begin working earlier if you graduate earlier.

And just a side note, philly is a lot closer to New York than Boston so if you ever wanted to take a day trip or weekend trip to NYC, there’s a bus stop in center city that takes you straight up for about $15-20 each way. It’s only 2.5 hours away👍
Thank you so much for this!! I appreciate the insight and feel validated in leaning towards Drexel.. seeming like the best fit for all the reasons you listed. Thanks again :)

My husband graduated from the PA program at Drexel. He lived in Chinatown for two yrs which is very close to Drexel and the rent there was very cheap (4yrs ago though). You might want to check on that. Drexel is a nice program. He also knows some PT professors there who are pretty nice.
I will look into Chinatown for living arrangements! All great to hear thanks so much for sharing with me :)

I'm a Columbia alumna, and I have a blog post about my thoughts on the program. That said, it doesn't seem like the school makes sense financially for you.
I just read your blogpost! The pros you listed are what attracted me to the program and I’m sad to miss out on those. But like you said, financially I think it’s not the right choice. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user