Help DAT PAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanami

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been practicing some generator version of the PAT in bootcamp, and I have been doing the Cracking DAT PAT recently.
I have done 4 tests so far, and I can't just get over score 20. ( I got 20 for all 4 tests, and weak areas vary although angle ranking is lowest)

I only have one month left before DAT exam, and I am planning to do PAT tests on Bootcamp for the rest of the month, after a few more attempts on Crack DAT PAT.

I heard the crack DAT PAT is easier than Bootcamp, and I'm wondering if I am on the right track.
Should I stop doing the attempts on Crack DAT PAT, and re-practice the generator (easier) one on Bootcamp PAT?
I would appreciate any advice on the PAT section.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely practice primarily on the bootcamp generators. I never used Crack DAT. PAT was my weakest section on the DAT; I was in your seat as well. I was scoring 20s on the bootcamp practice tests. However, by doing so, the actual PAT seemed easier. In conclusion, definitely switch to bootcamp PAT generators and practice tests. Best of luck! Just stay positive! It's not impossible!

Reactions: 1 user
A month is still a lot of time to practice and improve :)! If you increase your speed/accuracy in angle ranking, I think that will make a big leap in your score. I recommend doing daily practice with the angle ranking generator first thing in the morning - do like 20-30 problems with the 30sec timer on. It might seem hard at first but keep at it! My approach to angle ranking was this:

1. Look at the answer choices and see what the possibilities for smallest or largest angle. Best case: you can eliminate half. Sometimes it won't be that nice.
2. Make a choice on an efficient comparison between two or three angles that will eliminate choices. If all the answers have 2 or 4 as the smallest, then you know to compare 2 and 4, and then eliminate half. Some might have 3 angles split for the smallest, then look at those three and determine which is it is. If two answer choices have the same angle as the smallest, and the two others each have different angles, LEAN towards the one that two choices start with as being smallest---they usually try to make it harder on you. That said, there is a chance it could be the other two. If you definitely identify some angle as the smallest, and only one answer choice has it there, answer confidently!
3. Go back to the answer choices and choose another comparison to eliminate down to one.

Sometimes it isn't easy to quickly determine which comparison will help you eliminate the most choices, but you will get a better feel for it with practice. It's better not to stress so much about this and do get to comparing something. After figuring out the smallest angle, I would often look at the one that is "next in line" or the largest. At any rate, starting with the answer choices first and working backwards using logic is the key to increasing accuracy and speed in angle ranking. When you get a question wrong, identify what two angles you messed up comparing. Look at them again until hopefully it is clear which is truly smaller. Sometimes no matter how hard you look it won't be obvious to you, and that's okay! Angle ranking is really hard to be perfect with, but with practice you can be very accurate.

I also recommend to keep doing a bootcamp practice test every few days. It's important to build your pacing and stamina for the whole test, and generators aren't great for this (although they are still good to do when you have free time). Be sure to review the solutions on ALL questions, right and wrong. For the ones you got right, check to see if there was a different/faster way to approach the problem than what you did. I hope that helps! You're getting really close it seems so just keep it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
i only used crack the pat, but i think what really helped me was watching strategies on youtube for each section. you'd have to see which strategies actually work for you, but you might find some that will help you with speed and accuracy.

@Nanami I'm currently using Bootcamp along with a new resource called PATBooster that just came out this week. It has way better generators and more features than Bootcamps PAT section so you might want to try it out. But I would recommend getting more practice if your DAT is a month away especially if you have only done 4 practice tests so far.

Last edited by a moderator: