help deciding among ny programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lkychrms19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding among NYC programs- I've interviewed at Cornell, NYU, Albert Einstein/Montefiore, and Beth Israel.

I liked Beth Israel's location, housing, salary, the residents I met there, and the program director. Regarding A.E., the Bronx seems far and not fun to live in, especially since my husband will have to commute to Manhattan.

My problem is that I don't know how much to value academic reputation of a program when making my rank list. I don't want to screw myself over when it comes to fellowships and job opportunities after residency, but I also want to choose somewhere I'll be happy. How bad would it be to rank a community program first, even if I could match at a first-tier academic program if I wanted to? I don't know what I will want to do after I graduate, yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Firstly, just a warning that people can be somewhat hostile on here when it comes to soliciting advice re your ROL. I think the combination of so many of us asking the same few questions and the fact that there are few active contributing posters makes for a cranky bunch. That said...

I am in a similar situation, that is, weighing a community program vs an academic program. On the one hand, name/reputation count for a lot, and if you want to pursue further training, it cannot hurt to go somewhere with more connections, research opportunities, wow factor, etc. On the other hand, some community programs are incredibly strong, despite the absence of prominent research faculty. Perhaps a very strong, highly-regarded community program is more beneficial than a somewhat less stellar academic program (although this does not seems to be the case as such for you).

Moreover, the world of psychiatry is relatively small. Fellowship programs may be quite familiar with a community program at which you have trained, to the extent that it is no disadvantage at all. At least this is my observation among the So Cal and Bay Area programs; I imagine it is similar in NY.

In any case, best of luck to you. I hope you are not hating this process more every day as I am.

I need help deciding among NYC programs- I've interviewed at Cornell, NYU, Albert Einstein/Montefiore, and Beth Israel.

I liked Beth Israel's location, housing, salary, the residents I met there, and the program director. Regarding A.E., the Bronx seems far and not fun to live in, especially since my husband will have to commute to Manhattan.

My problem is that I don't know how much to value academic reputation of a program when making my rank list. I don't want to screw myself over when it comes to fellowships and job opportunities after residency, but I also want to choose somewhere I'll be happy. How bad would it be to rank a community program first, even if I could match at a first-tier academic program if I wanted to? I don't know what I will want to do after I graduate, yet.

For the most part, I'm going with my gut in terms of ranking these programs, which is kind of terrifying me-- I'm basing my decision of where I would like ot be for the next four years on a day or two of exposure.

I did do some second looks, which I found to be enormously helpful and if you still have time to do a couple at your top 2 or 3 programs, I would highly recommend it. I would also be in contact with the residents at these programs and ask them what they do like and do not like about the program, what other programs they were considering, and if they would choose the program again.