Help deciding between two schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoaBoaImDerek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma. I am deciding between two school to take my pre-med courses as a post-bach non traditional student. I already have some volunteering in the medical field under my belt, and am about to start a year long internship at a hospital in the medical center under a high-profile MD, which will have research opportunities.

So, here are the choices:

U of Houston Main Campus vs. U of Houston Downtown

Main Campus:

Pros: fairly well known, respected university that does internationally respected research etc. Nationally known professors, diverse, and probably overall a serious student body in the pre-med classes.

Cons: classes will be somewhat harder than at the other school on the list, further from my house and an insane parking situation (more time wasted every week, stress)

Downtown:

Pros: classes will be more reasonable, so getting a higher GPA will undoubtedly be more attainable, minutes from my house, some research being done but nothing like Main campus.

Cons: greater concentration of "jokers", i.e. not serious students who have no business in pre-med, not as well known or ranked as high.

So, my thought is at the end of the day, (since let's be real, this isn't apples to oranges we are not comparing U of H to Yale or something) my GPA matters more and that I should go to where I can get this best grades. However, if there is a moment where I am neck and neck with some other students on an admissions person's desk, they might go for someone who went to a better school when push comes to shove. So its a GPA vs. prestige argument I think.

As far as other schools such as Rice this isn't an option as they do not have a post-bach program of any kind. I have not liked what I have heard about St. Thomas, plus its too expensive. So these are my choices. Any thought or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One vote for the cheaper and easier (logistically and academically) school. Research EC's make up for a lack of research strength at your post-bacc university. Ignore the jokers and ace your classes. Ad-coms won't care if your Physics professor is Stephen Hawking or Stephen Colbert. Well, they might, but they won't be able to tell from your AMCAS transcript. :p

So, my thought is at the end of the day, (since let's be real, this isn't apples to oranges we are not comparing U of H to Yale or something) my GPA matters more and that I should go to where I can get this best grades. However, if there is a moment where I am neck and neck with some other students on an admissions person's desk, they might go for someone who went to a better school when push comes to shove. So its a GPA vs. prestige argument I think.

As far as other schools such as Rice this isn't an option as they do not have a post-bach program of any kind. I have not liked what I have heard about St. Thomas, plus its too expensive. So these are my choices. Any thought or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I don't think that admissions decisions are that close so that the particular campus one attended will matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW Medical Student host I stayed with during my interview there last week was from UHD, and he had a perfect GPA. Since its more convenient, easier classes, and can get you into a great med school, I vote for UHD.

Thanks for the responses so far, it's really helpful. Also, anyone who has a Tobias Funke avatar has instant credibility in my book.

Tobias Fünke: [auditioning] Hello, my name is Dr. Tobias Funke. I graduated with honors from Boston College and I did my post-graduate in psycho-linguistics at MIT. And this is "You're A Bad, Bad, Man" from "Annie Get Your Gun."

Comedic genius.

Just wanted to say hey to the OP. Im getting close to starting my pre-reqs. I was seriously considering UH-main and hadn't really given thought to UHD. I'm definitely going to look into the downtown campus now.

Just wanted to say hey to the OP. Im getting close to starting my pre-reqs. I was seriously considering UH-main and hadn't really given thought to UHD. I'm definitely going to look into the downtown campus now.

You should. Feel free to PM me with any thoughts/comments.

Thanks for the responses so far, it's really helpful. Also, anyone who has a Tobias Funke avatar has instant credibility in my book.

Tobias Fünke: [auditioning] Hello, my name is Dr. Tobias Funke. I graduated with honors from Boston College and I did my post-graduate in psycho-linguistics at MIT. And this is "You're A Bad, Bad, Man" from "Annie Get Your Gun."

Comedic genius.

:laugh::thumbup:

Eh, I go to UH Main, and parking isn't an issue if you don't mind walking or waiting for a bus a little bit (I walk... It's maybe 5 minutes to the science classrooms). There's a lot on the south side that never fills up. Don't know about the difficulty difference between the two, but so far it has not been a problem maintaining A's here. I think you might be giving too much credit to the student body here... They aren't exactly the pinnacle of academic ambition. Same as most schools I guess; a few overachievers but mostly they are just regular college kids ok with getting B's. Also surprised you'd mention distance being an issue, as UH-D is maybe 10 min from the main campus... Whatever floats your boat though.