Help deciding if I need to work on my grades a bit more!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mho21

Reaction score
Hi,

My cGPA is about 3.7, my sGPA is 3.5.

These are the classes I have taken: Intro Bio 1 and 2 with labs, Intro Chem 1 and 2 with labs, Orgo 1 and 2 with labs, Neurobiology, Microbiology w lab, Biostatistics, Physics 1 and 2 with labs, Genetics, 2 biology based Psychology classes that I want to petition for (Infant development and Epigenetics and the Brain)

I received a B in Intro Bio 1, C in Intro Bio 2, C in Orgo 1 (but A in Orgo 2!), B+ in Microbiology.

I am worried that I am going to get a C+/B- in Biochemistry and a B+ in my Ecology class. I am signed up to take 3 more Biology classes and given I do well in those I could fall in the 3.6 sGPA range.

I am planning on taking 2 gap years to get some clinical experience and take my MCAT as well. I am just worried about my grades since I have received B's and C's and I wanted some advice about if I should do Post-Bacc program or what I could do to improve my chances before I apply?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit early since you didn't mention your own clinical or community service experiences here. Your sGPA is in my opinion high enough that you can nudge it up with a few more upper-level biomedical science classes if they are available to you. But we won't put any bets down until an MCAT score is posted, and waiting 2 years... I just wonder what you're going to do to keep some of those study habits fresh by the time you return to school.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a bit early since you didn't mention your own clinical or community service experiences here. Your sGPA is in my opinion high enough that you can nudge it up with a few more upper-level biomedical science classes if they are available to you. But we won't put any bets down until an MCAT score is posted, and waiting 2 years... I just wonder what you're going to do to keep some of those study habits fresh by the time you return to school.
Thank you for the advice! I currently volunteer at the hospital in an outpatient department and have around 200 hours of shadowing as well. I will be starting a Medical Scribe position very soon, and I am planning to work as a Medical Assistant after graduating. I am also an active Crisis Textline volunteer and have a leadership position in a big cultural organization at my school. Since my clinical experiences will be starting in the future I am taking the gap years to ensure I have time to get the best out of my clinical experience and also take my MCAT as well. I am wondering if you have any advice or suggestions regarding the plans I currently have and if applying to an SMP is something I should be looking into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just aim to maintain a 3.7 average for the remainder of your terms. I think that gpa is more important than sgpa.

Like others have said, MCAT will be a much larger factor than GPA in determining which schools to target.

Best of luck

Thank you for the advice! I currently volunteer at the hospital in an outpatient department and have around 200 hours of shadowing as well. I will be starting a Medical Scribe position very soon, and I am planning to work as a Medical Assistant after graduating. I am also an active Crisis Textline volunteer and have a leadership position in a big cultural organization at my school. Since my clinical experiences will be starting in the future I am taking the gap years to ensure I have time to get the best out of my clinical experience and also take my MCAT as well. I am wondering if you have any advice or suggestions regarding the plans I currently have and if applying to an SMP is something I should be looking into?
An SMP will prevent you from those needed clinical experiences in your application, and I generally recommend them for those with science GPA's of 3.25 or lower. A lot of your clinical hours are future hours, and I would not apply until at least 300 hours are completed.

Again, give yourself enough time to study for the MCAT and take it just prior to applying (January to April before you submit your AMCAS/AACOMAS).

Reactions: 1 user