HELP: Don't know what to take before MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UDgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a rising junior, biomedical engineering major, who plans to take the MCAT at the end of my junior year.

I have already taken gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, bio 1, orgo 1, & 2 physiology classes. I plan on taking biochemistry in the fall. Basically I haven't taken orgo 2 yet or a second biology class and do not know if I will be able to squeeze them in before the end of my junior year.

Is is crucial to take orgo2 before the MCAT? I am pretty good with studying on my own and teaching myself. Would I be okay to wait to take this class until my senior year? And same with a second biology course. I could probably take another before the MCAT but if I do, which one would you recommend and is it necessary? My school has genetics, molecular biology of the cell, and a few others. THANK YOU!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is more than possible to teach yourself Orgo II if you performed well in the first course. I would recommend using your Orgo I textbook (I'm assuming your school uses the same one both semesters). Bio II will probably be more helpful than another biology course considering the lack of significant upper-level material on the MCAT.

Can you take your MCAT next Juneish? Once youve had all of these courses, that is. It's already tough enough to not have to self-study..but to each his own.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user