HELP: Don't know what to take before MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UDgirl

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am currently a rising junior, biomedical engineering major, who plans to take the MCAT at the end of my junior year.

I have already taken gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, bio 1, orgo 1, & 2 physiology classes. I plan on taking biochemistry in the fall. Basically I haven't taken orgo 2 yet or a second biology class and do not know if I will be able to squeeze them in before the end of my junior year.

Is is crucial to take orgo2 before the MCAT? I am pretty good with studying on my own and teaching myself. Would I be okay to wait to take this class until my senior year? And same with a second biology course. I could probably take another before the MCAT but if I do, which one would you recommend and is it necessary? My school has genetics, molecular biology of the cell, and a few others. THANK YOU!!!
 
Yes, it is more than possible to teach yourself Orgo II if you performed well in the first course. I would recommend using your Orgo I textbook (I'm assuming your school uses the same one both semesters). Bio II will probably be more helpful than another biology course considering the lack of significant upper-level material on the MCAT.