-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Help! Equine ride-along
Started by akitavet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think it really depends on the area. I haven't shadowed with an equine vet, but my friend has. He said that the vet would remove his coveralls and wear business casual with the horse people. Apparently some of them would freak if they knew he had touched cows earlier in the day. I think jeans and boots are a good idea, maybe a nice-ish looking shirt, but one you don't necessarily like or care if it gets dirty.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to sidetrack, but this made me laugh... After a certain time in labs, clinics, and other professional-but-dirty environments, I have an entire wardrobe of exactly that - nice-ish machine-washable permanent-press clothing that I don't particularly like or care if it gets dirty. You hear the EM folks debate exactly the same issue for what to wear in the hospital (want to look professional, likely to get thrown up on). I wonder if this is a niche in the fashion industry just waiting to be exploited: "Designed especially for science and medical professionals! Nice-ish but hard-wearing clothes you don't like that much!"...maybe a nice-ish looking shirt, but one you don't necessarily like or care if it gets dirty.
Sorry to sidetrack, but this made me laugh... After a certain time in labs, clinics, and other professional-but-dirty environments, I have an entire wardrobe of exactly that - nice-ish machine-washable permanent-press clothing that I don't particularly like or care if it gets dirty. You hear the EM folks debate exactly the same issue for what to wear in the hospital (want to look professional, likely to get thrown up on). I wonder if this is a niche in the fashion industry just waiting to be exploited: "Designed especially for science and medical professionals! Nice-ish but hard-wearing clothes you don't like that much!"
I actually saw a catalog in our vet's office yesterday that seemed to cater to this. Professional clothing that can get messed up.
No. I've worked with horses for years, and never with steel-toed shoes. A nice sturdy boot, usually made of leather, is called for. Many horse people will wear "paddock boots" around horses, including myself; they're designed for riders but perfect for walking around the barn. You can find these at any tack store, or find similar shoes elsewhere.
EDIT: I just read that your first day with this equine vet is tomorrow... so if you don't have any comfortable boot-type shoes, just wear closed-toed shoes that you don't mind getting a little dirty (although I would try to avoid gym shoes, if possible... not very professional).
EDIT: I just read that your first day with this equine vet is tomorrow... so if you don't have any comfortable boot-type shoes, just wear closed-toed shoes that you don't mind getting a little dirty (although I would try to avoid gym shoes, if possible... not very professional).
Definitely a "no" to the steel toes...horses weigh enough that they can crunch that nice steel toe down onto your foot. However, if you've got boots, wear 'em. Ideally, you want something with a solid foot that comes above the ankle.
I work at a mixed practice that is about 70% equine. I would vote for jeans and a shirt that you don't mind getting green slime on.
The vets I work with wear jeans or Carhartts and casual button-downs or polos. Nothing terribly formal. (I'm in Montana, if it makes a difference. I suspect most horsepeople here would laugh in your face if you wore "business casual" to a farm. But then again, this is a place in which anyone wearing a suit gets stared at on the street.) 😎
I work at a mixed practice that is about 70% equine. I would vote for jeans and a shirt that you don't mind getting green slime on.
The vets I work with wear jeans or Carhartts and casual button-downs or polos. Nothing terribly formal. (I'm in Montana, if it makes a difference. I suspect most horsepeople here would laugh in your face if you wore "business casual" to a farm. But then again, this is a place in which anyone wearing a suit gets stared at on the street.) 😎Wear a decent collared shirt and jeans. That is middle of the road and if you happen to feel underdressed a little (which I doubt will be the case) then you can remedy the situation for next time. Never wear steel toe shoes around livestock. Can't tell you why, but I have been around livestock my entire life and never seen anyone wearing them and I am not going to start.
You generally can't go wrong with khakis, a polo shirt, and paddock boots (or something similar). But you definitely don't need (or want) nice, ironed, office-type khakis...I wear the tougher ones, that are usually cut more like jeans but made out of khaki fabric, if that makes sense.
The most important thing is to look neat, professional, able to comfortably and safely hold or jog a horse, and not afraid to get dirty/slobbered on/sweaty etc.
The most important thing is to look neat, professional, able to comfortably and safely hold or jog a horse, and not afraid to get dirty/slobbered on/sweaty etc.
I had a great time today! I rode with Dr. Rachel Kane from Woodstock, IL. We did lots of repro stuff and some sports medicine stuff too.
I wore a nice shirt and jeans and brought scrubs and nice pants. I asked when I got there and she had me change into a scrub top. The only boots I had were steel toed, so I left those at home and wore my merrill hiking shoes. The doctor wore sneakers, so I didnt feel too bad. Thanks everyone!
I wore a nice shirt and jeans and brought scrubs and nice pants. I asked when I got there and she had me change into a scrub top. The only boots I had were steel toed, so I left those at home and wore my merrill hiking shoes. The doctor wore sneakers, so I didnt feel too bad. Thanks everyone!
Are steel toes a yes or a no?
As one of my old equine professors said, "Wear boots and just get your foot crushed. Wear steel toed boots and get your toes sliced off in addition to getting your foot crushed."
I took that as a no😛
hey! just wanted to say that i found some boots at kmart (but they're REALLY heavy) but they're mold/fungus resistant, waterproof and no matter how much you sweat, it never smells. the traction is really good and it's great because you can walk in puddles and it doesnt bother you. 🙂
good luck on your shadowing!!!
good luck on your shadowing!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Glad to hear you had fun Akita 
Was this just a one-time thing, or are you going to keep shadowing?

Was this just a one-time thing, or are you going to keep shadowing?
i know this is late, but i've been out of town.
but, i ride with a large animal vet twice a week and i wear jeans, t-shirt, and waterproof hiking boots. the boots are light weight, but have really good traction and support.
when working with cattle, there's no way i'd wear a nice shirt or polo...😀
but i agree with the others who suggested wearing boots and no steel-toe!!
but, i ride with a large animal vet twice a week and i wear jeans, t-shirt, and waterproof hiking boots. the boots are light weight, but have really good traction and support.
when working with cattle, there's no way i'd wear a nice shirt or polo...😀
but i agree with the others who suggested wearing boots and no steel-toe!!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K